Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My Top Five

Because I haven’t had that many comments (is nobody reading this, or is it for my own amusement), I thought I would create some debate. So I’m going to make MY best-of list. Please feel free to make your own.

Movies
Top 5 Movies (Drama)
Annie Hall
Manhattan
The Big Chill
The Graduate
To Kill a Mockingbird

Top 5 Movies (Comedy)
Night at the Opera
Stripes
Dumb and Dumber
Sleeper
Tommy Boy

Top 5 Movies (Suspense)
North by Northwest
Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction
Rear Window
Body Heat

Top 5 Movies (under-rated)
Garden State
Mary Poppins
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Local Hero
Big Fish/Gross Pointe Blank (tie)

Top 5 Movies (about sports)*
The Natural
Rocky 1
Pride of the Yankees
Major League
Hoosiers
*(Kellen says Jerry McGuire is a chick flick not a sports movie)

Top 5 Movies (chick flicks)
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Shakespeare in Love
Jerry McGuire (apparently not a sports movie)
Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Top 5 Movies (foreign language)
Kagemusha
Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Cidade de Deus
La Vita è bella
La Grande Illusion

Music:

Top 5 Albums (not CDs)

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart’s Club Band
Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Pet Sounds
Joshua Tree
Songs in the Key of Life

Top 5 Songs (This is difficult)
Hey Jude
Sounds of Silence
Layla
Over the Rainbow
Miracles

Top 5 Groups
Beatles
Beach Boys
Eagles
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Rolling Stones/Bee Gees (tie)

Top 5 Male Performers
Bob Dylan
Elton John
Jackson Browne
Bob Marley
Bruce Springsteen

Top 5 Female Performers
Carole King
Eva Cassidy
Annie Lennox
Natalie Merchant
Norah Jones (sorry, no Joni)

TV

Top 5 TV Shows (Drama)
ER
Mash
St. Elsewhere
Hill Street Blues
Dallas

Top 5 TV Shows (Comedy)
Saturday Night Live
Seinfeld
The Simpson’s
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bob Newhart Show

Pets
Top 5 Dogs of All Time
Mutley
Molly
Daisy
Frieda
Flash

Top 5 Cats of All Time
Diamond
Ummmm…. I don’t like cats

This is getting ridiculous. We need more categories like best airports or beaches and need your input on my lists. Skip, I skipped Aqualung. Phil, no Chicago. Alice, no country music. Elizabeth, I snuck in the Bee Gees but it was a tight one. Em, I put Flash pretty far down, and what about other chick flicks? Gail, I know there was no Joni but I put Jackson pretty high (also missed out on Lady Oh! But it’s more sentimental than a good song).

Lists please!

8 comments:

Sladed said...

You suck at list making. What is this nonsense anyway?! Songs in the Key does not hold up. U2 belongs in the group list. No Springstein? It's okay to leave Tull off the lists. But what about Santa Esmerelda?

Scott would want to know why Frampton isn't in the Male Performers list. And while we're talking about that list, I consider MYSELF quite a good performer. Rarely if ever do I experience performance anxiety!


...Oh, and what about KC and the Sunshine Band? Well, nevermind.

Laz said...

This is good. Finally some passion in the posts -- if misguided.

I chose the list based on how I remember feeling at the time. Tell me you weren't blown away when Songs in the Key of Life came out. You were in the bed with a flashlight across the room when it happened.

I do have Springsteen on male performers, but I can't say he has just one great album or one great song -- he has plenty.

Santa Esmerelda was indeed a toughy to keep off, but I misunderstood the words to their song and, besides, it wasn't their song originally.

Frampton's a wuss so he can't be on any list other than a wuss list. And I've seen how you perform and you don't want to go down that road.

As for KC, a bit of Six Degrees of Separation. I was "honored" by the Humane Society in Florida along with KC. I got to meet and talk to him. He's a cool guy. He wrote a lot of music that I was unaware of and was the producer of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack album. How do you like them apples?

Sladed said...

As for dogs, how COULD you?! No Skippy Dogs? No Max? No BOOMER? What about Tommy Trojan?

As for songs, what about Help Me Rhonda? And Em's favorite in 1985-86: Springstein's Born in the Ooo-es-ay?

As far as Movies, where is Coalminer's Daughter? Have you thrown off Sissy Spacek for Diane Lane???

...And PLEASE, have you forgotten Buckaroo Bonzai? That has to go on one of these lists.

New list suggestion: Top 5 Superheroes. Please consult Kellen on this.

Sladed said...

I stand corrected on Springstein. I agree with your assessment. If I had to be truthful I find your lists pretty impressive. I know you may not agree but I happen to think that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon belongs on the "best albums" list. Some of the albums on that list are don't necessarily hold up as great music today but they changed music as we knew it at the time.

List suggestions: How about Best Songs from a particular decade or from a five year span or one year or ?

My top songs for 1974:
1. Dead Skunk - Loudon Wainwright III
2. Take a Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
3.

Laz said...

Believe it or not, I seriously considered choosing Dark Side of the Moon and Coal Miner's Daughter. In the end, they were all difficult choices and I could do another top five in each category.

By the way, I got a lot of heat in the Dog Department. See post above and then know what I went through putting Flash at #5.

Laz said...

1972-1974 songs ....
1. Lean on Me (I remember you sitting out a set just to listen).
2. Benny & the Jets(hated the song, love the album Mr. Grey Seal.)
3. Band on the Run (I think Cindy bought me the last two albums for my 18th bd).
4. My Girl Bill
5. Space Odity
6. Super Streaker
7. Convoy
8. Get Tarzan
9. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
10. Harvest, Old Man, A Man Needs a Maid, After the Gold Rush, etc.
11. Stairway to Heaven
12. American Pie
13. Maggie Mae
14. Saturday in the Park
15. Bread
16. Doobies
17. Boz Scaggs
18. ELO
19. BTO
20. Thick as a Brick

There were some lean songs/albums and some good ones those years.

Sladed said...

Damn you have a good memory!...but I already knew that. For the last year or 2 I have been going through a little revival, or perhaps deja vu. Corey is very into the music, what with this being the ipod generation. He not only likes much of today's music but he also appreciates music from other eras, including "our" music. He thinks the earlier stuff is more "musical" , with guys that can SING and guys that can write LYRICS. Because of ipod he doesn't know ALBUMS but he does know songs. He's in daily training for naming the artist when he hears a song, or vice versa. He makes his father proud!

Sladed said...

Have posted my own lists on MY blog... http://pulltabchain.blogspot.com.