Saturday, October 08, 2005

Lord of the Rings

I have some proud news about Emily. No, I’m not going to be a grandfather. At least I don’t think so. For those who are ardent followers of the WNBA, you know that the Sacramento Monarchs won the championship this year, surprising a few and doing it with a tenacity that was Jordan-esque.

When a team wins a championship, the players and personnel vote on who is deserving of the championship ring. Well, Emily was voted a ring and she gets it in May (who knows why it takes so long.)

I always knew Emily was a champion but now she has the ring to prove it and the ability to bruise and batter anyone who has ideas on making me a grandfather. She never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

Sladed said...

Congratulations to Emily! Very cool! The only championship ring I ever got was a ring-shaped hickey on my neck that was given to me by Emily's father.

Laz said...

Err... ha, ha... I have no idea who this guy is. Really. By the way, what happened to the Padres/Chargers? Assuming I know you, of course.

Sladed said...

Laz, your avoidance of your "colorful" past makes me sad. The harder you work to deny who you are, the more you will unintentionally reveal yourself in other ways.

As for the Padres...aside from their unbelievable month of May they were just an average team this year. They couldn't seem to consistently put it all together. One or more of the following ALWAYS seemed to be going on: injuries to critical players, poor hitting, leaving unbelievable #'s of players on base, normally reliable players stinking up the place...blah, blah, blah. And yes, they lost to St Louis in 3, but they kept all of them close (unlike some of the other losers). Here again, though, they couldn't seem to put it all together for whatever reason (see list of reasons above).

On a positive Padres note, Budweiser has a designated driver program at the ball park so I got a free $4 O'Doul's at every game.

Chargers? Love their "Powder Blue" uniforms. As Chris Berman says, "The greatest professional sports uniform, EVER!" The team is good and it's entertaining. This season will be infinitely more difficult compared to last year because of the schedule.

Always remember: "When you lose, blame it on the referee/umpire."
~~a soccer ref who knows about these things

http://sladed.blogspot.com