Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas To All

The Russian Orthodox Christmas isn’t until January 7th but that didn’t stop me from getting a Christmas lecture from a Russian. She asked me what was wrong with my country that we say “happy holidays” and proudly declare there is a decorated “holiday tree” rising above the White House lawn. I tried to explain we were just being sensitive to other religions but that drew an even stronger rebuke.

Later the thought occurred to me that she had a point. There is nothing wrong with celebrating Christmas without concern for political correctness, because one can’t deny Christmas is a significant day of reverence in the Christian religion, just as many other holidays and celebrations are for other religions. To attempt to make Christmas an inclusive holiday misses the point of December 25 by a wide margin.

Tonight the malls and Main Streets fall silent. The ringing cash registers and the happy cries of children are but ghostly echoes across silent streets. But the Christ born in a manger 2,000 years ago lives; liberating the hearts of sinners and transforming the lives of many. It should come as no surprise that hundreds of millions of people in this country and indeed around the world derive comfort from this fact. In and of itself, the celebration of the birth of Christ should be enough to keep the PC police at bay for at least one day.

But if we want the holiday to be all things to all people – and isn’t that the goal of all social engineers today? – then let’s speak of another miracle of Christmas that’s worth celebrating. Beyond the Christian religion overtones, the day brings families and friends together; sometimes for a rare visit, other times for the last time (if only we knew). It brings so many lasting memories and traditions that Christmas has virtually kept the family at the center of our society, if only for one day.

My earliest memory of Christmas created a family tradition in the old Arno home and continues on into the new Arno home. For 45 years members of my family have opened presents on Christmas Eve for no other reason than Peter, Bill and I were too excited to see what Santa left us and saw no reason why we had to wake our parents to share the booty. Needless to say there were looks of shock on Jeanne and Doug’s faces when I nudged my dad to help me button up my authentic Confederate army uniform (Peter got the Union outfit as my parents always loved him best). The next year, we were told Santa came early – roughly 9 p.m. Later, Santa got a boost as my parents did a little shopping for him and Christmas presents were opened after dinner. Man, could my mom wash the dishes slowly, or what?

I came to view opening presents in the darkness of Christmas Eve as part of the charm. When we were older and taking our time and enjoying the thought that went into each present we passed around to each other, the blinking lights on the tree, the ever present television blaring, and a full stomach became as much a part of our family tradition as anything else. Which isn’t to say any other way is the wrong way, it was only our way of keeping our family together and happy – even if I never got everything I wanted.

Like all good traditions, it’s important to keep them going and when I grew up (yes, I did eventually grow up), I had a family of my own. Mrs. Laz wanted to stick to her tradition of opening presents on Christmas morning and I still wanted my presents on Christmas Eve … errr … I wanted the kids to open their presents on Christmas Eve. Three kids in the house eventually won out and after a few very early mornings for Mr. and Mrs. Claus, it didn’t take much fancy footwork on my part to get Mrs. Laz to agree to the much better post-dinner exchange of presents; with or without Santa.

Of course the joy of giving becomes secondary to spending love and joy with those close to you. It won’t be long before our children begin their Christmas tradition and we, as parents and grandparents, will become loving bystanders to new customs. It won’t be quite the same for us but at least I won’t have to assemble anything.

All of this is to say that I wish all my family and friends a very Merry Christmas with the hope you are surrounded by the biggest gift of all; the family. Keep your traditions close and your families closer. Love each other just a bit more, eat a bit less, and set a place at the table for those who won’t be with us after choosing instead to sit with the one person who got all this started 2000 years ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a lovely post my dear, the foucs on the family is the thing for us and we celebrate that with which we do have and in memory of those who no longer grace us with their presence-Laz loves the fun and joy of Christmas-he says it is all about him getting everything but I know it is about being with his family.
And I would add we love him dearly this wonderful man who has given us all so much.
Merry Christmas,
Mrs. Laz

Anonymous said...

This man may have given you "all so much" but I say, "More! More! I'm still not satisfied!"


...sorry, i think i messed up the joyous and true meaning of this fine posting! will you forgive me?

Sladed said...

Thank you so much for making sense of at least PART of this current debate about "Merry Christmas". I get tired of hearing the rants about it and usually tune out the conservatives who bellyache over this issue. Your thoughts on the matter certainly make sense to ME.

I believe most Jews don't mind that people wish each other merry Christmas or even that they are sometimes wished merry Christmas. I think retailers try to be sensitive and try not to offend any customer or group of customers. Since the small minority that is Jewish is also purchasing gifts at this time of year it may make sense to wish people happy holidays, but it's still their choice.

Where it gets stickier is when a government entity jumps into the mix. The problem is, many conservatives who are Christian don't see the distiction!

And, just as an aside, I agree that government should not "establish a religion" but it should also not stand in the way of religious expression. This includes allowing a church group to place a nativity scene in a public area or displaying a menora (hannukia) in a park or allowing a buddist garden to be part of a multi-cultural installation.

People ought to be sensitive but also SENSIBLE about this stuff.
~~~~~~~
On the rest of your post...thank you for sharing with us some of what your family traditions have been and how they came about!

Happy New Year! ..."chinggggg"