Friday, September 01, 2006

Living With Diabetes

Most of you know I have Type-2 diabetes. Well maybe some of you don’t as you have seen me gulp down a slice of chocolate cake like a doomed man one minute before midnight. If you don’t mind, can I say part of that last sentence again slowly? Gulp...down...a...slice...of...chocolate cake…mmmmmmmmmm. Therein may lay one of the causes of my ailment: chocolate cake.

The truth is, diabetes is no fun. The list of things you’re not supposed to eat is long, varied and tasty and the temptations are everywhere. I can’t eat cake, cookies, pie, candy bars, ice cream, popsicles, or Cracker Jacks. I can’t drink soft drinks, most wines, cocktails and beer. Hell, I can’t even drink milk (lactose is a sugar), any kind of juice, and I can't eat most fruit (fructose is a natural sugar but the body can’t tell the difference).

Then there is another list that I am supposed to stay away from, and that is any food with carbohydrates, especially complex carbs. This means I really shouldn’t eat pasta and, if I do, I have to be careful that the tomato sauce is low in sugar. Breads of all sorts, one of my Achilles Heels, are a no-no as is the jam I desire to put on it. Potatoes are high in carbohydrates and so are other starchy vegetables and fun things like the best-tasting peanut butter.

I often feel sorry for myself, especially as I watch those around me ordering desert while I try to drool discretely. But the fact is, I have eaten my lifetime share of sweets and carbs; I have just eaten them faster than most people do – in my case, by age 42. My mom wasn’t exactly a good role model because she had a huge sweet-tooth and, if you can believe this, once a week when we were kids, she fed us donuts for lunch. And not just any kind of donuts, the sweetest, most decadent kind of donuts. Even one of our dogs had diabetes, probably from eating table scraps.

Recently I found out that a good friend of mine has diabetes. He’s coming to grips with it the same way I did eight years ago and I can tell you it’s not fun. Like me, suddenly many of the simple pleasures in life have been grabbed from him and it didn’t happen at an age for us when we’d be accused of being flexible. We’ve had to learn to read those tiny nutritional labels that we never bothered to look at before and get booklets to tell us how many grams of sugar or carbs are in food that can’t be labeled, or factor the approximate evils of restaurant food.

To ensure we’ve been well-behaved on our diet, we’re rewarded with frequent finger pricking and blood-letting to get to know our blood sugar levels. Mostly this is frustrating because we get high readings when we think we’ve been good and low readings following a dinner made solely from pumpkin pie (actually that never happened, I just wish it would). The point is, there are other chemical things happening in our mysterious body that affect our blood sugar including feeling a bit under the weather, lack of exercise or being too hungry (yes, not enough food in the body and the body will store what you do have as sugar for more energy and put out a higher reading).

My advice to my friend is to not worry too much about it. Be a good boy at first and stab your fingers and squeeze out the drop of blood so you can understand the way foods and activity affect blood sugar levels. This will also be a useful exercise in limiting the number of lectures from wives, dieticians and nurses. The pills are better now then they were when I first found out I had diabetes and while they will add a few pounds to the body, your blood sugar will go down and you won’t suffer from days when a single pill can lower your blood sugar to a near-comatose 50. After a while, you will be able to rely on you’re A1-C readings which are a three-month average of your blood sugar and a better indicator of where your stable levels are.

Diabetes is a life-altering disease but very manageable. It’s certainly more manageable the younger we are. I know my friend can’t be as active as he would like, but hopefully he can take 10-minute walks with his wife and then work his way up to daily 30-mintue walks. And, yes, I am aware that she will nag at him for the full 30-minute walk, but that is only because she loves him (I think).

8 comments:

Sladed said...

EATING Chocolate cake is not the problem. It's the DIGESTION of that eaten chocolate cake that is the culprit. And so, perhaps, therein lies a solution?

I am sorry your struggle is a constant one, the factors complex, and the consequences sometimes confusing. From my selfish perspective, all I can say is to keep after it. The alternatives are not nice. I want you around for many years to come.

Laz said...

That reminds me of a joke Dennis Leary told about people telling him that if he quit smoking he would live 10 years longer. And he said, "Yeah, but it's the worst 10 years." I am not saying I can't live without choco cake, but it sure makes life more fun. I am working on it tho -- I'm up to swimming 4 times each week and doing about 2000 - 2500 and watching what I eat.

Anonymous said...

O'wise &cake craving person; alas I
must again agree with what you say!! it's not plesant being told
your a diabetic, but with support
from "friends" and wives or lovers
one can have a pretty good life...
But it's words from someone like
YOU that make life interesting...

Anonymous said...

I know this disease is frustrating and not fair but then what is? I appreciate you doing your very best to watch what you put in your body and how you treat (exercise and all) your body because I too want you around for as long as I possibly can selfishly have you. Put yourself first and do the things you need to do to treat yourself kindly and well-you are so darn worth it. This is not a nag but a reminder of just how loved you are.
Mrs. Laz

Laz said...

Thank you Panda and I am trying but it is a struggle to keep up with proper diet and exercise when there are so many distractions and delicious treats around. I've done this before (this is my third time) and am still 30 pounds heavier than I was in 2004 so I have a way to go. When I was in better condition and my weight was down, I did not technically have diabetes. I need to get there again. (I'm even almost 20 pounds heavier than I was when we were in Spain!).

Sladed said...

Keep up the workouts as life allows. With so much traveling, none of this stuff is any easier. Your 2 long time friends will be thinking of you Sunday at La Jolla Cove!

Anonymous said...

Laz I'm sure it's no fun and it's easy to say it. You are doing good by monitoring yourself and working out. Sorry for the visits with J-beans and cadburry eggs, I am so sorry for that and so insensitive, forgive me.

I can only imagine what it is like and how difficult temptations make it. I will be a better 1st best friend and respect your situation now more than ever, just do the best you can and you can, keep up the exercise and get ready for the 2007 LJRWS, no pressure but we're counting on your participation!

Mrs Laz, if I go off course again whilst visiting you all, take a heavy piece of wood to the back of my head or better yet a quick glaring glance would be preferred.

To all of you with these ailments, stay on your course, enjoy your life, talk with your loved ones and friends oh and a big HUG daily really helps, going and coming!

Laz said...

Whoa, don't get so carried away Mr. Italiphil, keep bringing the Cadbury Eggs....