Saturday, October 14, 2006

Overrated

Ohio State won in convincing fashion and should be the unanimous Number 1 team in the country when sportswriters go to the polls this week and vote. But which team should be Number 2? Florida, ranked second or third depending on which unfair voting system you believe, lost to Auburn tonight. Certainly they will drop in the polls like a Ricky Davis fumble at the goal line during the Rose Bowl.

University of Southern California, arguably the weakest Number 2 team ever in the history of college football rankings, barely beat a weak team from Arizona. It doesn't matter which Arizona team -- Arizona State, University of Arizona, Northern Arizona, Scottsdale Community College -- they're all terrible and it's a huge embarrassment that USC escaped with a late touchdown AT HOME NO LESS. They looked about as sharp as white socks with a black suit tonight.

Besides the close shave USC had against a junior varsity team, they are coming off lackluster wins at unranked Washington State (28-22) and a time-conveniently-running-out-win at home against Washington, 26-20. I guess the Trojans should enjoy life at near the top for a short time, because I don't think they will be able to finish the season undefeated with home games against highly-ranked Oregon, Cal and Notre Dame coming up. Home games? Geez, how many home games do the Trojans get against good teams?

On a much brighter note, fourth-ranked Michigan won another game on the road in stronger fashion than the score would indicate. They defeated the tough Penn State Nittany Lions 17-10, but it took a late touchdown to make the score look close. Until the final Penn State drive, they had been held to 52 yards of total offense by the stingy Wolverine defense, which also racked up seven sacks. In the end, Penn State was held to a mere 119 yards of total offense after the Wolverines put in their second and third defensive teams leading 17-3 late in the game.

With this impressive win, along with what can only be described as an ass-pounding (can I say that in a sports story? You bet your Red Smith I can) at Notre Dame, followed by solid wins against good Big 10 teams Wisconsin, Michigan and Michigan State, Michigan should be moved up to the second spot in the rankings. I don't think there is a convincing argument otherwise.

Now I am sure there are some ignorant football fans out there from the LA area that will disagree, but USC may as well start its gradual decline in the rankings now while the big boys, Michigan and Ohio State, fight it out for the top spot.

There, I've said it. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an idiot.

Anonymous said...

17-10 against a WEAK Penn State team is nothing to brag about. That makes Michigan worthy of #2? I'd vote for Vanderbilt, who silenced Georgia today, before I'd put Michigan #2.

Anonymous said...

NICE! You managed to not only dis my team but you also dis-ed my Wildcats. The only thing you left out was praise for UCLA and Notre Dame! It's really ashame that you didn't put more thought into this post.

That said, even though USC is undefeated, there IS something lacking in how they perform. I do not believe they have earned their current ranking. More than anything I think it is carryover from the previous 3 seasons. I still think it is possible for them to become a top rated team (and earned it) but right now they are definately lacking a certain something in all areas of the game.

Laz said...

I feel it's important to point out that Michigan beat Vanderbilt 27-7, so not a good comparison.

Now you know me and know I can be objective when it comes to ranking Michigan. That's me, an objective sports analyst/therapist or ... well, never mind on that one. The important thing to mention is that I am being objective and you're not. Nor is that Charles White or Vince Evans guy!

Check with Italiphil; he agrees with me on this. And so does Ames.

Laz said...

And don't forget Michigan has Ball State coming up. Those freaky, bucktoothed Lettermanheads can be a tough draw. Fortunately we ... err ... they play them in the Big House.

Anonymous said...

OOOPS! Sorry, that was me posting a comment. Mrs. Sladed was logged in looking at a knitting blog and I didn't realize it. That comment was mine.

Anonymous said...

Both my SUNDAY teams won this weekend. The San Diego Chargers and the San Diego Saints are looking good!

Anonymous said...

Wow you sports fans can get pretty rabid about your teams and your devotion. I hope that no one knows where Laz lives cuz he could be a dead man, it appears he has offended many of the very loyal, very mafia like, very powerful USC fellowship. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes, come to think of it perhaps a Wolverine fan from his loyal crew will step up and protect him. I am sure glad I don't live with him, me being an innocent bystander who deserves none of the "hell" that may rain down on him.
Love and kisses,
Mrs. Laz

Laz said...

Et tu Mrs. Laz? Et tu?

SSlade441 said...

Go to sslade441.blogspot.com, aka; Skip’s Bro’s Blog, to get an honest assessment of the now official “441 College football Top Ten Poll”……Laz, I am almost certain you will agree with my non-computer generated rankings.

With that said, will Michigan FINALLY find a way not to lose one game?

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Michigan usually blow it when they get in this high ranking position. I believe they are ripe for the picking. Be warned and don't get your hopes up to high. You have been very disappointed in the past......Maurice Clarett

Anonymous said...

Right on with the rankings my good friend Laz, and free Super Bowl tickets will be waiting in Miami for you so you can watch me notch another Super Bowl championship. I'd have to check but I don't think any USC quarterback has led a team to the Super Bowl championship, although I think Vince Evans through a few passes in the dirt for a good Raiders team once.

I think SC is a lot like Michigan was last year -- a young offense and a maturing defense but not quite there as a whole team yet. Next year they should be a top contender. Then you should give credit where credit is due.

Laz said...

A Ha!!!!! I catch certain people posting anti-Laz comments on my blog but they seem to tell the truth on other blogs. Case in point: Mr. Sladed, who harangued me for moving SC down in the rankings but was a bit more honest on his bro's blog. To whit:

"At this point in the season I'm with you. USC may not even be worthy of #5 but as you say they are undefeated so for now it's okay. I wouldn't be surprised to be out of the top ten unless they can improve all phases of their game. The loss of Reggie Bush really hurt."

I guess the foot is on the other shoe now!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom Brady:
Who needs a great ex USC quarterback when you can run.....

Marcus Allen

Anonymous said...

I object to your characterization of me being dishonest on your blog. Please see my first comment which reads in part: "even though USC is undefeated, there IS something lacking in how they perform. I do not believe they have earned their current ranking. More than anything I think it is carryover from the previous 3 seasons. I still think it is possible for them to become a top rated team (and earned it) but right now they are definately lacking a certain something in all areas of the game."

Laz said...

You're right. I'm sorry. But you DID (through surrogates) call me an idiot!

Anonymous said...

It was meant in the fondest of ways.