Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Quiet Birthdays

Today was The Boy's 25th birthday; a quarter century milestone. We had a fairly quiet evening with just family and The Ber and her mom, and it made me think about the fact that it won't be long before these kinds of celebrations fade away.

During the kids' younger years, the birthdays were celebrated like national holidays and Christmas all rolled into one. The gifts were almost entirely toys or whatever fad they were into at the moment and for reasons I will never be happy about, some assembly was always required. Then comes the electronic birthdays in which everything needs an outlet followed by the years when it was okay to buy clothes providing it was the right kind of clothes -- a tricky bit of shopping required.

Now we're just happy to be part of the celebration of their birthdays and even though we will always celebrate this day and November 9, it may be as secondary revelers as they go about building their own families. It's natural and normal for them to go from birthday hats and horns to quiet nights, but it does serve as a reminder that they are growing up and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

5 comments:

Sladed said...

Oh, but there IS something you can do about it: sit back and be a proud father!

Laz said...

But that's a rational thought!

Anonymous said...

I know that (most) every parent says this but I will say it louder-it has been the greatest pleasure and honor being a parent to our children, they are amazing human beings (despite their genes) whom I enjoy to the very core of my soul. We got ever so lucky with these "kids" of ours and I thank them and love them dearly.
Love,
Mom and Mrs. Laz

Anonymous said...

Heard you got my birthday wrong. You asshole. And you wonder why I think you love Kellen more.

Laz said...

One little tiny mistake and you're calling me names. At least I know what grade you're in. Geez!