Sunday, March 23, 2008

Putting On The Pounds

Forgive me Sladed for I have sinned. It had been six days since I last exercised.

All too true. Traveling, as I have found, sucks when it comes to keeping up with one's exercise routine. I switched to working out in ways that can easily be done in any hotel (treadmill, elliptical machine, stationary bikes) and even took classes to learn how to work my abs and strengthen my core (new word application in my dictionary). All the same, between a few airline journeys and running around a bit too much, I was either too tired or too overwhelmed to feel like exercising at the end of the day.

The downside is I feel heavier again and likely have gained back the seven pounds I have worked so hard to rid my flabbiness of. Tonight I took a brisk walk and ran some and feel better, but it is too little and, it would appear, too late.

I feel like a contestant on Biggest Loser who goes home and can't keep up with what he's learned at the campus. So I have too choices, please vote for what you believe to be the best idea: One, I suck it up and exercise twice each day and get into a rhythm of working out so that it feels weird not to, or, two, gain an extra 30-40 pound to make me eligible to be on the Biggest Loser so I can get into that six-hour-a-day workout regimen, get on TV, and have a shot at the grand prize. From what I know of the show from paying attention real, real, hard is that to be on the Biggest Loser Couples show, I need to divorce and go with my ex-wife or have a partner who is not my girlfriend. At least that's as I understand it from the two women in my life.

I wonder, openly, if Diane Lane would put on a few extra pounds to be on the show with me? Actresses are always gaining weight so they can play a role with greater honesty. Being on TV with me would be one of Diane's most challenging roles. I think she should do it. Where is her publicist's number? I know I have it somewhere.

6 comments:

Sladed said...

I vote for neither choice. I completely understand the feeling of being on the road, being away from a newly-started routine, and not being able to get a workout in. You're working hard, plus, travel is fatiguing.

I'm in favor of a 3rd alternative. While you're traveling, do the best you can without putting yourself down. Get in as many workouts as you can, using what's available. Next time, before you leave, decide how many workouts you might realisticly get in, and have that as your goal. Unforeseen shtuff may cut that number but it's also possible that you can sneak in an extra workout along the way.

An evening walk on the treadmill is good and counts. Aim for 20+ minutes and eventually get it up to 3.5 mph or better, without holding on. If you get the heart pumping a little so you're at aerobic level, all the better.

You're gonna be okay; just don't throw in the towel completely, even on THIS trip. Start now! Every day is a new opportunity to succeed. And if you're not buying that...




GET OFF YER GAWDAMN ASS AND DO SOMETHING. I DON'T WANT NO FLABBY GIRLIE MENS IN THIS OFFICE! NOW GET TO IT!

TSP said...

Great advice. I do this myself where I have had a bad weekend with getting to the gym. I am sitting there in bed wishing I had excercised more when I realize that the weekend is not over yet. Even a half hour of push ups and sit ups is better than nothing. Just always remember that something is better than nothing and know that there will be setbacks, but you gotta go through em.

Anonymous said...

God Dammit Arno, suck it up....

Hank Slade

Sladed said...

You undoubtedly think I wrote the above comment, but it wasn't me. I'm having dinner with him tonight and ask him about it.

Anonymous said...

Laz, put on the weight so we can see you on the "Tele" and enjoy a
much needed laughing fit....

agent 69

Sladed said...

I asked Hank about his comment last night and he just gave me a blank stare, which could mean anything. It could mean he did it on the sly, or he didn't know what I was talking about, or he did it but due to alzheimer's he can't remember that he did it. Take your pick.