Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Missed Extra Points

It's Mrs. Laz's birthday today (yesterday, really) and I got upstaged by the Girl by not listening to her and getting the present she told me Mrs. Laz really wanted. Instead I got her some techmology that was probably more of an interest to me than to her. She may like it, but I should have listened and bought her the Tory Birch shoes she strongly hinted she wanted. Fortunately, the Boy and the Ber came through and bought the overpriced pair of ballet slippers.

Lately I have been sucking at birthdays. Last year, I took her at her word and gave her a simple birthday when it was a milestone birthday. We did very little and I did as she requested and didn't buy her a present. After living among women for half a century, I should know better than to believe they are actually telling the truth and they really don't want a present. A new car may have been more appropriate than a hearty handshake and pat on the back on getting to the milestone.

I also failed this year to prepare her a HallMike Card in which I beat the local card shop out of $3 and write my own. It's always more personal and direct and it just slipped my very slippery mind this year.

Rather than try to write one up at this hour -- and her birthday is now behind us -- I will just say to her: I love you dearly and may you have a lot more birthdays to come and, should you have more birthdays than me, may you find a new man who has a better sense of how to treat his woman on her birthday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Laz,
It was a very nice birthday with my family close at hand and my joy at being so loved well felt. The gifts were great (sorry to be such a brat and want such a silly and too expensive pair of ballet slippers Kel and Ber-but thank you so much)and I feel so fortunate. Laz, I think everyday with you is a treasure and an arbitrary date like one's birth is in fact truly just another day-I treasure them all (crazy as I am) and feel like the lucky one who gets to spend them with you. Not looking to have more b'days than you and not looking for love in any other places.
Thanks to my friends and family for a lovely day.
Mrs. Laz

Anonymous said...

Good Lord Laz,

Have I taught you nothing about women. Or more to the point you don't listen like every other husband in the world ( well maybe not every one). Next time listen to what your lovely wife wants and go out and get it pronto.

I can see I have more work to do with you in training.

Happy Birthday againg Mrs Laz and many many more!

Sladed said...

Being of the same species and gender as you, I too have made missteps large and small on my beloved's birthday. Just ask Mrs Sladed! Hopefully we learn from our "miscalculations". And sometimes the creative well runs dry. Not all birthdays are as successful as others. Just make sure, above all else, that she knows you love her.

Anonymous said...

Laz, Married how long; learned
nothing of women, yet write a blog
on your errors! Me thinks you will
need more than training...