Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm 16 Inches Smaller!

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks. – Totie Fields

Let me first start by pointing out that I am still fat. But with a little hard work over the past six weeks, I am a little less fat and I am pretty happy with that.

My fitness club offered a six-week total body makeover class that met twice each week and offered training tips and nutritional information and meal suggestions. It was run by a woman named Jessica and, for the moment, I would like thank her for changing so many poor habits and giving me a much-needed nudge to better health. I use the “for the moment” part in the last sentence as a mere qualifier because anyone who knows me knows I have difficulty sustaining things. The proof is in my weight which has fluctuated wildly over the past 10-15 years.

Having made that qualifier, I should also tell you that I view the recent change in my eating and exercise regime as something that needs to be life-changing or I won’t have as much of a life to change later on. A number of my diet and exercise pushes have seemed easier than this one and I suspect the ravages of age and poor health has caught up to me and has made this last go-round, particularly the additional exercise, more difficult. In other words, I view this as something of a last stand to better my health and I really need to stick with it this time.

During the course we were given increasingly more difficult workouts and had our menu diaries reviewed by Jessica. Fortunately Mrs. Laz read Jessica’s menus so I just had to ask her what to eat. If only I could have gotten her to do the workouts for me I would be a lot less sore today.

The offshoot of the program is that I came in second place in my group with 14 pounds lost in the six weeks. My own scale had me losing more like 18 pounds but I’ll take an official 14 pounds in such a short time any day of the week. My body fat dropped from 25.7 percent to 21.3 percent and I lost a total of 16 inches off of various parts of my body (no, not there). The number of inches lost was the most in the group of about 20 participants and included four inches off my waist.

I think I could have lost more during the six weeks because I was in Latin America for one week and took two separate trips to Ohio so I missed five of the 12 meetings. I am continuing on with keeping a good log of my diet and exercising every day (or nearly every day). I am getting great encouragement from my family and from Sladed who even came to cheer me on for my final weigh-in; which was nice, but ultimately his cheering on was going to have no affect on the outcome. However I did get to "out" him while he was there. One thing is clear, it’s great to know so many people are pulling for me.

I would post the before and after photos except the after photo still has a little more of me than I am willing to share – especially if a certain Diane happens to take a look at this blog and learns a startling truth that could cause my chances with her to drop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Laz I am going to be encouraging and all but you gotta get it straight about Diane, it just isn't going to happen. Even if you loose 225 pounds she just isn't going to be yours. Sorry to be so honest.
On the exercise and eating right front, very proud of you and looking forward to your continued effort in both catagories. This is life changing and extending and I will accept nothing less from you at this point.
You see I, unlike Diane, want you around.
Good work, keep it going and I support you 110%.
Mrs. Laz

Laz said...

Hey, thanks for all the love and support. Just wish you'd support me in my other desires with DL. Maybe we could all move to Tuscany together?

Anonymous said...

Ok get over yourself and Diane. Get your feet back on ground and based in reality. Then maybe you will be losing even more weight for the right reason.

Keep up the good work!!!

Hugs and Kisses

Anonymous said...

Laz
Good job on weight loss! About this Diane when did you stand a chance?

Sladed said...

You have done a great job making changes and incorporating them into your routine. I'm proud of your efforts so far! It's making a difference. Even though I wasn't crazy about some of the over-the-top workouts Jessica had you do, I think the message there is that you are capable of doing a heck of a lot!

Because my hope for you is that you'll continue with this very difficult change you are making, I'm looking to the future. There are two questions I think you need to at least think about: 1. Do I intend to continue this lifestyle-type of change more or less permanently, enjoying all the benefits that this brings? 2. When I run into temporary setbacks like my Panama and Ohio trips, will I view them as temporary so that I don't just revert to my old ways?

I think you've answered the 2nd question but you'll continue to have to answer that because these setbacks are always going to crop up. Do you always have to be perfect? I don't think so, but making adjustments and refocusing in the right direction after setbacks are important skills to cultivate.

As for your Lady Di L thing, I'm already guilty of feeding your... interest. I think I'll back away from that.