Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Run 5,000,000 Millimeters Uphill!

It’s really all Sladed’s fault. He has been such a sports machine that he’s shamed me into getting off my butt and pushing myself athletically. He’s made me want to try to keep up and got my competitive juices flowing. It’s been a long time since I did anything requiring even a remote amount of athletic skill, so it has been feeling right to something about it.

About 10 days ago I returned to the office from an extended trip in which I did very little exercise and snuck too many Kit Kat bars out of the hotel vending machine. Sladed told me there was a 5K run in Solana Beach and, like an idiot not wanting to be shown up by the Adonis-legged Sladed, I said, “sure, I’ll run in that.” I had run three miles – almost a 5K – on a treadmill before so I thought I could do it and not totally embarrass myself.

Then Ber tells me she is running the America’s Finest City half marathon and told me there was also a 5K race as well. She demanded I run in the AFC 5K because, well, she’s a princess and the Ber always gets what she wants, so I signed up for the AFC 5K. Of course the Ber’s race was a 6:45 a.m. start and Sladed’s was at 9:15 a.m. This combined two things I hate: getting up early and getting up early to exercise.

Anyway, I was secretly hoping something would happen that would prevent me from running, like the loss of a limb or painful dental surgery. A few days after signing up, I had an abruptly-scheduled trip to Moscow that would not return me in time to run the event so it looked like I was out of the race. Too bad. But, just as quickly, my trip was called off and I was back in the run again.

Unfortunately my only additional training was running one practice 5K and a two mile run around my neighborhood a few days before the race. I certainly knew that I could do a run/walk and finish the race, but I wanted to do the best I could under my current physical conditioning – somewhere between critical and cadaver.

I woke up at 5:30 to get to the race start, but listened to Mrs. Laz’s advice in pinning my bib number on my back, slowing down my important mental prep time. Of course it was wrong. As all great runners know it goes on the front. I had to make a quick adjustment after we saw 5,000 runners with their bib number pinned on their front. That error in lost time and concentration probably added five minutes to my race time.

At the start of the race, they require that only those given a bib number 1-150 be at the start and everyone else should start at their leisure. You're given a little computer chip that fits in your shoe and marks the time you begin the race and when you finish, so you could literally leave 20 minutes after the official start and it will not affect your actual running time. I started about two minutes after the others had left and wish I didn’t. I got caught up in those who planned to walk the 5k and had to wind my way around people walking and chatting and basically blocking access to the course. It would have been better for me to have left a minute earlier or five minutes later, but it’s something I will learn for next time.

Some key things about this race and the course: the course is all uphill. I know that may sound impossible, but it’s true. You have to run to a peak of about 6,000 feet above sea level and then deal with the altitude. Then you run up a similar mountain peak and find yourself at 12,000 feet with no oxygen tanks! To get back down to sea level, there is no gradual decline. You have to chip away at the glacier and jump from huge heights before rolling down sheer cliffs, avoiding death as best you can. It may be the toughest course in the world!

Needless to say I didn’t win, in part to Mrs. Laz’s error and underestimating the heights of the mountain peaks in Balboa Park. Perhaps my lack of training, physical conditioning, extra weight and non-athletic running style played a small roll.

I was in what most analysts would call the “chase group,” some 15-19 minutes behind the "winners." We were a hearty bunch of walkers, parents pushing strollers, the elderly, kids under 10, the overweight and one homeless guy, although I think he joined the race when he heard the rattle of change in the pocket of the runner in front of me. We were a proud and tight-knit group, striving mightily to the finish line.

I admit I was tired throughout the race, but when I turned the final corner and could see the Hall of Champions (aka, the “Bird’s Nest") where once a portrait of Sladed hung on the wall, I knew I was near the end. Since it was my first official 5K, I did my personal best of 34 minutes, 34 seconds, which works out to an 11:08 mile. I finished 817th out of 1,580 and came in 17th in my 50-54 age group (out of 26).

About an hour and a half later (and ten miles longer) The Ber came running by to finish her half marathon and all of us; Mrs. Laz, The Boy, The Girl and I, were all able to cheer for her completing her first run at that distance.

I was happy to be out running and competing and would like to run more, but I am afraid joining Ber in the half marathon will be long way down the road if it ever happens. My immediate goal is to run another, and decidedly more flat, 5K and see how I do and, hopefully, work my way up to a 10K. The ravages of age and general laziness will dictate if I ever double up on today’s run.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a whack job!

Anonymous said...

Hey; be proud !! you gave what you could, and still finished.. so feel
good about what you did. Some should take note of your effort !!

Sladed said...

I can't even imagine running that far on that tough of a course! You are amazing. Thanks for sharing...I'm sorry I couldn't be there to cheer you on (or throw rocks.)

You did a good job in your first effort and obviously learned a few things. Funny how competing in an event is more than just about the running. I learned that same "know the course before you run" lesson when I did my 1st 10K. I thought the finish was in one spot but when I got within sight of that spot, the finish was a quarter mile further.

34:34 is a fine time and a good starting point. I think you know you have the ability to do better. Train smart; find the fun.

Anonymous said...

Laz
So proud of you! Can't wait to do more races with you! Keep up that competitive spirit!

Anonymous said...

Well Done Laz!! I am very proud of you for your accomplishment and scaling to 12,000 feet is a great accomplishment.

Maybe if only in your mind. But you still did very well. Keep on running!!

L

Anonymous said...

I feel you harshly criticized your wonderful wife who only knows biking and not running with her innocent error regarding the pinning of the bib. I also am struggling to find the 12,000 peak at Balboa Park, I was all over the grounds today and for some reason just couldn't find that altitude. Perhaps you can join me there and we can re-trace your steps and make things right!
Good job Laz on your first of hopefully many attempts at running, competing and staying healthy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Laz,
Your bib issue was a rookie mistake. If Sladed had allowed you to observe one of his many events you wouldn't have had that problem. At least you didn't end up in the Urgent Care Center which is where we spent Thanksgiving day after Sladed "ran" his 5K. Here at the Sladed Hacienda we are very proud of the Princess Ber and your tremendous accomplishment as well.

XO
Mrs. Sladed

P.S. You should have done the SB Aqualthalon 5K with me. TOTALLY FLAT.