Sunday, October 19, 2008

Winning By Losing

While the determined Sladed spent his Saturday at the desert in a 102.5-mile bike race, I participated in my own athletic challenge. Sladed burned 4,500 calories in his 6-hour 52-minute race; which is pretty good. But I bet I burned 10 percent of that today when I swam one mile, biked 6 miles (or 15% of Sladed’s achievement) and began to run two miles before getting a debilitating cramp in my calf. Sladed is training for an Ironman Triathlon and I’m conducting a Wussathlon.

Please don’t misunderstand, I am pushing my body further than I have since 70 pounds ago, but I much farther to do. Still, I am constantly amazed at how far the body can be pushed in the first place. Six months ago I couldn’t walk for 15 minutes on a treadmill and now, barring nasty cramps, I can usually run – with some walking – three miles on a treadmill. And I can swim up to 2.5 miles in a workout where I could barely swim 1,000 yards last May.

A lot of what I have been able to do is the direct result of watching Sladed continue to push his body to new and amazing limits. If I didn’t have him as an example, I am not sure I would have been as aggressive at testing the limits of my own body. So, I thank him for leading by example.

The interim news of my efforts is all good, too. Back in April, I finally had enough of my huge gut and poor health. I began a program that was something like the Biggest Loser TV show and lost 14 pounds in six weeks, dropping my weight from 246 to 232. I learned to make better choices in the food I put in my body and, as important, I began to exercise more regularly and more vigorously.

Since then, I am exercising on average 5-6 days each week and, while my diet has slipped some, I am still eating much better and much less. I now weigh 214 pounds, a loss of 32 pounds, and have the goal to be under 200 pounds by the end of the year. This also happens to have been my New Year’s resolution that I had no real belief I could keep. I wasn’t even sure I would try all that hard to fulfill the resolution.

My doctor even likes the results as my most recent blood test reveals that I am no longer technically a diabetic, my blood pressure is actually a bit low so my medication has been cut back, my cholesterol is also low, and a lot of the ailments that used to plague me no longer occur. In short, I feel marvelous.

As I am sure Sladed would concur, regular training and regular focus on diet leads the body and the mind to accept this as your normal lifestyle. Something clicks at some point that almost seems like a compulsion, but I am sure it is just the body settling into a routine. I think the routine can be fragile as I have been in this kind of shape before; about the time that Bill died. His death likely contributed to knocking me off course and, once you begin to slip, it’s such a slippery slope.

And I guess that’s the message that you, the reader, were likely looking for. Weight loss, or anything that requires such concentration, is a full time job and so difficult to keep up with each and every day – especially when tasty ginger snaps or gummy cinnamon bears are within reach. But I am thankful that I have Sladed around to set an example and the support and encouragement of my family to continue with this very worthwhile endeavor. Thank you to you all.

5 comments:

Sladed said...

Good job, Laz. And you're right, I do deserve all the credit! ...not.

I am glad to be something of an inspiration to you. It helps to know that people out there are looking over your shoulder so that even when you slip a little you have that little extra voice telling you to get back on track. I know it can be tough but you have done incredibly well in a relatively short amount of time. And though some people may view working out (I prefer to call it training) as lost time they could use for something else, it is also an excellent use of time when you can not only improve the current quality of you life but also your future and its quality/quantity.

You have made great strides and it doesn't seem to have been all that painful. (Well, there are exceptions: the "jumper" incident in the ab class, the stairs at Swaimy's, and the calf cramp you mentioned.) All and all, a hell of a job so far!

Keep it up, damnit!

Anonymous said...

10th Annual Toyota Desert
Sprint Triathlon
April 19, 2009

Sprint Triathlon - 500 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run

Great work Laz! You say that Sladed is an inspiration, but your accomplishments are nothing to sneeze at...seems to me that you are ready for a Sprint Triathlon...with 6 months to train
you will be more than prepared.

Be there or be square.
Love,
Mrs. Sladed

P.S. I'm sure we can convince Mrs. Laz to come and cheer you on. She and I can sit under umbrellas, drinking adult beverages, reading trashy magazines while our studly spouses compete.

Anonymous said...

10th Annual Toyota Desert
Sprint Triathlon
April 19, 2009

Sprint Triathlon - 500 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run

Great work Laz! You say that Sladed is an inspiration, but your accomplishments are nothing to sneeze at...seems to me that you are ready for a Sprint Triathlon...with 6 months to train
you will be more than prepared.

Be there or be square.
Love,
Mrs. Sladed

P.S. I'm sure we can convince Mrs. Laz to come and cheer you on. She and I can sit under umbrellas, drinking adult beverages, reading trashy magazines while our studly spouses compete.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double post. Stupid internet. Really, I was just trying to up your comment tally.

Anonymous said...

LAZ, I say congratulations to you on your weight loss; and the effort
and concentration you manage to acheive the end result.. I can say
that after seeing you, it is just
great that you now look and act in
positive "mind set"...

Keep up your new lifestyle, I wish
I could acheive what you've done !!

Sincerely: a FRIEND