Wednesday, November 05, 2008

About Moving Objects

There use to be a day when I thought about writing the Great American Novel on a daily basis. Shortly after my kids were born (and after I had resisted the urge to sell my daughter to a Gypsy family), I used them as my muse or my inspiration. I was in my car a lot in those days and had a tape of Bob Seger’s Greatest Hits that I listened to constantly. As I drove and listened and drove and listened, it occurred to me, whether the artist meant to or not, that his songs told a story. I may have also been hallucinating.

At any rate, I began to formulate an idea for a novel based on the songs and, being a Midwestern boy myself, it settled around a guy who moved from Michigan to California to find himself, only to discover he had already done so in his children. I wrote 20-30 pages before I gave up (as usual), but I remember one line I wrote that has always stuck with me: God only helps moving objects.

Fast forward 20 years and the line has come back to me. It is a natural inclination when times are tough for people to freeze. I’ve frozen many times and I can say from experience nothing good comes of it. So I began to create my own inertia recently and have begun to push for things to happen. To my surprise, my movement has led to movement from others and suddenly I am feeling much better about my business and personal prospects.

Twenty years ago, I wrote a short line and then forgot about it. I wish I hadn’t because I really believe we have to create our own success and create our own opportunities. And it doesn’t hurt to have God’s help when you’re trudging up a hill.

5 comments:

Katrin said...

Soooo... there used to be a DAY when you thought about writing a novel on a DAILY basis.
And in another post you had a "consigliore", not a consigliere like any other mobster.
And now you praise the benefits of pro-active-ness.
When you feel ready for an ADD Anonymous meeting, lemme know and I will give you the contacts. ;-) If I can still find them...

Laz said...

I think I am going to regret giving you my blog address,,,

Sladed said...

This is an unexpected post from you but but very positive. I think you are correct in you thinking.

I wish you'd written that book. "God only helps moving objects." I feel like I got LAZ-IFIED!

Anonymous said...

God helps those who "help themselves"....

Laz said...

Of course the feeling can be fleeting ....