Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas To All

It’s difficult to deny this Christmas is something of a bah-humbugish Christmas. With sorry financial news everywhere around us, jobs lost and the U.S. turning into Bailoutistan, there is little to persuade any of us to break into impromptu caroling around what’s left of our neighborhoods.

Despite bad news at seemingly every turn, Christmas endures as more than just an opportunity for retailers to fatten up for the slow times and for each of us to engage in mass gift giving and subsequent cash refunds to said retailers. Christmas is the placeholder for memories we all carry, the reminder of what is good in each of us and the promise of hope in the love we share when we gather ‘round the Christmas tree and complain we didn’t get what we want (at least that’s what I do, not sure about you all).

And I do have renewed hope and faith that times will be better in the New Year and that the memories we’ll make this year will be something to remember and cherish always. We’re doing very little gift buying this year, but we are spending this Christmas a bit differently from others. Because the Girl is working in San Francisco, the Boy, the Ber, Mrs. Laz and I decided to bring Christmas to her and are staying at a lovely hotel that has a living room and a dinning room so we can share a Christmas Eve dinner together. On Christmas Day we will head to Sacramento to join our new in-laws and my brother and his family for their Christmas celebrations.

Like most people, I have a Christmas gift wish list. It’s doubtful someone will answer my request since I want one of those Air Force Drones so I can smite my enemies from 15,000 feet anytime I want. It would be a most useful gift, too, because this year I have collected a few more enemies worth smiting. But I would even go without such a practical gift for an evening with my family (and I think that’s the right thing to say here).

Sometimes we get so caught up in making sure we find just the right gift for our loved ones that we forget that just being with them is a gift in itself. To that end, we will be overflowing with what we all want for Christmas: peace and love. Can’t wait to unwrap it. May all your Christmases and various holidays be filled with the ones you love close at hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laz,
As someone in my "family" once said family is everything anything else is second.

Have a very Merry Christmas.
Agent 69

Anonymous said...

Laz,
As someone in my "family" once said family is everything anything else is second.

Have a very Merry Christmas.
Agent 69

Sladed said...

You are right, having family near is a wonderful thing. Hope your Christmas Eve and Day were wonderful! Looking forward to a 2009 that will be filled with success and satisfaction for the Laz family.

love, sladed