Thursday, August 02, 2012

Thailand, Part Deux


Well, I’m back in Thailand. Again. This time for about three weeks, then a quick return to California to visit the office and loved ones, and then back again for three weeks. To be truthful, I’m not as enamored with the “life of adventure” as much as I used to be. Perhaps it’s because I’m getting to an age where I expect things to happen the way they’re supposed to, or maybe I’m just tired of being away from my friends and loved ones.

The things not happening as they’re supposed to has been the theme of the first 24 hours of travel. Peasey, my personal, private, executive assistant who is on this trip tells me, in one of those “you’re a curmudgeon but it’s ok” way, that the few times she’s traveled with me, I’ve had “high expectations.” Now, you be the judge: I was told the hotel we’re staying at was a certain rate and it’s about $20 per night higher – and $20 for two rooms for 21 days does add up. I was also told our rate included breakfast, but it doesn’t and that’s another $22 per day – although I wouldn’t fit through the door if I ate the breakfast buffet every day. And when I unpacked, I noticed my unlocked IPhone was missing from my suitcase. A new IPhone is about $750, although a 3G is about $300, which I suppose I will have to settle for. Either way, I need an unlocked phone so I can have a Thai phone number and I hate having to buy IPhone number 16.

So, I think you would agree I’ve been screwed.

On top of things, I left the office with a number of messes that will fall to The Boy and LJ to clean up. I hate leaving messes behind because it becomes difficult to focus on what I’m here to do instead of dealing with the pull that comes from back home. With the time difference limiting the window to talk, it puts an even greater burden on working through things and gives me more “quiet” time to worry about it all.

As for just being away from those I care about, it’s always been a bit of a trade off. It’s been fun to work and visit new cultures and make friends around the world, but it also takes its toll on my relationships back home. One of the things I’ve noticed when I’m gone for a long period of time is how time marches on. I’m here doing my thing and people back home are doing their thing. But we’re not doing our things together, so when I return, I don’t return to the exact same place to any of my relationships. It takes time to rebuild what was lost while I was away and I think I’m just getting too old to keep going through this. Phone calls and e-mails and text messages are no substitute for any kind of personal relationship.

Anyway, it’s still hot and humid in Thailand. This is the rainy season and I had to fly through a typhoon or two to get here. Bangkok doesn’t get drenched the way it does in the north and northeast where flooding this time of year is common. I won’t go up there on this trip, but I will when I come back. I’m looking forward to that for a few reasons. I’m very interested to be more in the middle of ancient Buddhist temples and will be not too far from the Cambodian border where hopefully I can take a train to Angkor Kat, the huge 12th Century temple that should be included in the Seven Wonders Of The World.

Peasey got sick on airplane food and I tried to watch a movie for the 15th time and stare at my Van Gogh Lilies screen saver. Such is our first day in Thailand. Basically it can be said I’m bored, so you get this post if you’re at all interested. I hope I will have tales of beauty and my immersion into the Thai culture in the near future. For now, it’s mostly Lazlo lamenting, as is my want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Lazlo stop lamenting so much. Part of the reason you hire good people is so things can run without you being here. Just enjoy being in the moment where you are. You are very fortunate to have been able to travel to all the places you have been. There are a lot of us who never get to go anywhere. So be happy and don't worry so much.

Everything you need will come to you at the perfect time.

Anonymous said...

As Anonymous stated! stop with the
lamenting, and enjoy the chance to
see new things!! As to the extra charges, you should know to expect
crap to happen.. I do hope you get
to visit that 12th century temple.
If possible get a photo of it!

Laz said...

Thank you 69 and LJ for your comments and for reading my blog, too. The lamenting, and homesickness, will pass. It always does....