Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My Friends Are Trying To Kill Me

Phil and Skip want me to swim in the La Jolla Rough Water Swim in September. How do I figure out a good way to tell them I’m not going to do it? It’s a one-mile swim in which my ankles will be grabbed and scratched from people behind me, my throat and face will be kicked from people ahead of me (in decidedly larger numbers), the water will be cold, it is a one-mile open swim so I can’t hang on the side to catch my breath and, most important, there are sharks in the water! Tell me where this is fun.

6 comments:

Sladed said...

Your ankles will NOT be grabbed or scratched as there will be no one behind you. Your throat and face will not be kicked because everyone will be TOO FAR ahead of you. Wet suits are permitted. There are lifeguards on whose surfboards you may hang to catch your breath. As for sharks...I can't help you there. They tend to single out the slower, weaker, more juicy prey. Maybe you SHOULDN'T have fun with us after all.

(please note my challenging, confrontational, testosterone-fueled words)
p.s.The fun is in surviving the challenge and not being singled out by a shark.

Laz said...

I'll have to check these "facts" out. By the way, can I use a surboard?

Sladed said...

No, but you can use a boat.

SSlade441 said...

Laz,
Maybe you should start on the steroid program and you should be pretty pumped by September.

Anonymous said...

Michael, even I did the Rough Water Swim more than once and through the fog of memory I recall thinking it was fun. Your buddies will protect you. Besides, I have it on good authority that the sharks only go after the under 50 crowd, so Skip is the one that needs to worry.

Laz said...

Come forward silent rogue and tell me who you are? You sound reasonable except for swimming the LJRWS a few times.