Friday, September 29, 2006

Adrift On An Ocean Of Loneliness

A few nights ago, I spilled my guts to the missus and admitted I was feeling “adrift.” She asked me why I felt this way, but the problem with feeling adrift is you can’t answer such a question.

But I have been trying to find an answer, at least in my own mind, and I’ve come up with a few thoughts. The first is; I don’t think I know of any friend or family member who feels totally content or not somewhat adrift themselves. Or put more artfully by Paul Simon, “I don’t know a soul who’s not been battered, I don’t have a friend who feels at ease.”

For our younger generation, I understand it better. They’re anxious to get their lives started and still trying to figure out how and where they fit in. Laz Jr. had a friend visit us in our Virginia Estates and he seemed far too uncertain about his future. This is a brilliant young man on an academic scholarship to earn a masters degree at Cornell University and even he is confused. I had very little advice for him other than to tell him to get in line – none of us knows what we want to be when we grow up. Or put more artfully by Woody Allen when asked who he wanted to be when he grew up stated, “Anyone but me.”

There’s more to it with the 18-25 age group. I think it has something to do with waking up in a world where the security of our country is vulnerable for the first time since our generation was diving under our classroom seats to protect us from a Soviet nuclear attack (still not sure how our school desks would have helped but they were built pretty tough back then). We don’t get to dive under desks these day, we just have to hope that when we get on an airplane or visit Washington or New York that this particular day isn’t the one fanatics have planned to make a violent point. The kind of morbid feeling that comes with this new reality is very unsettling for all of us, but I think it hits the younger generation harder because it must make them worry about the future, and nobody should be so worried about the future when they’re young and just beginning their journey into adulthood.

Whether we like it or not, the world is at war in a different way than it has ever been at war. There are no mighty battles and hills taken to tell whose winning, and no real reason or rules for this clash of cultures gone so wrong. Both sides pray for their god to deliver a victory, but only one will be right – or worse, nobody will be right. The stretch to our imagination over this new paradigm is so disquieting that it would be perhaps more surprising to feel confident and content at the moment. At least this is one reason I must feel adrift.

I also don’t feel at all comfortable about the way the past 14 or more years have become so politically divisive. I admit I took great pleasure in watching our smug former president struggle through self-inflicted wounds caused through general hubris and male-pattern behavior. It was fun to toss a pillow at the TV set whenever his mug was front and center and engaging in some fantastic lie. But now the shoe is on the other foot and I have some appreciation for those who feel similar toward the current president. Rather than say my reaction was correct and then pass off the anger created by Bush as only from irrational opponents who just don’t get it, it’s better to just confess that these past years have been some really, really bad from a dirty politics perspective. And the worse part is; I don’t see a savior in our near future to release us from this partisan dreadfulness.

Now most people wouldn’t be too bothered by this, but to put it more artfully as Brother Bill would have done, “it burns my cookies to a crisp.” I need a break from it, and not just from one of my occupational hazards, but I need to stop listening to talk radio and, especially, stop watching the nightly news.

It is one of the reasons I like international politics so much. Instead of people asking why things aren’t going right in a campaign, I am constantly thanked by the people I work for in other countries because to them, we Americans are the experts. I sort of gag on that, because what we’ve become experts of is how best to tear down our opponents. I just read an article about President Lula in Brazil and how he’s likely to win re-election this year. It was mentioned that the campaign was marred by more negative advertising than ever before seen. That’s as far as the story goes, but I know the truth. President Lula is being advised on his campaign by Bill Clinton’s former campaign manager. There used to be a day when we exported our well-made products and imported cheap Japanese electronics. Now we’re exporting our cynical, negative, hit-piece politics and importing everything else.

I’ve also made some bad investments this year in which I relied on supposedly good friends. In the end, the investment and the friendship fell apart. In my more charitable moments, I assume there was nothing pre-planned by the friend and things just didn’t work out. At least I’d like to believe that. But I’ve experienced this too many times to fall for that generous logic. I was cheated out of a good deal of money and no amount of innocence feigned or good intentions offered will get me to change my mind. Or to put more artfully as Wilford Brimley did in Absence of Malice, “It ain't legal. And worse than that, by God it ain't right.” So I haven’t been able to find a way to forget or forgive on what happened and this adds to my angst.

I wish I could write happier, more jovial posts. I know I will someday. Most of you know me as a person of good humor who uses bad humor to irritate and entertain. I don’t feel so much in the mood these days and seem to find drifting about without a rudder more to my liking. But I think that is the way society is going and perhaps I am just responding to the mood of the current culture. I wonder if I am correct about others out there who feel the same way. If so, drop me a line and tell me. If not, I would especially like to hear from you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes when you write so honestly for some it is disarming and uncomfortable but also fairly accurate and on target--well at least for you because I know these angst of which you write. Because I know and love you. I am sorry is all I can say. Sorry for your angst. I don't share the same concerns, or perhaps I should say I can't share them to the depths that you feel. I think for me it comes down to a simpler mind and lesser expectations which is alright by me. It is good and healthy for your soul to share these thougths-keep doing it, just be prepared to know that you are unique and sometimes others can't relate the way you want them to. Therapists are of value--I know you know that--when and if the time is right. Doing what your heart tells you and not sweating the stuff you can't control might help too. Realizing too that you have contributed more than so many others on this planet in your short 50 years to people who love you dearly I would hope would help too.
Love from those who know you and love you best...

Sladed said...

I feel great concern and a little empathy for you, Laz, my friend. It has been especially difficult in some parts of your life, these past couple of years in particular. I do not have answers except to encourage you to follow through with turning off talk radio and tv news for awhile. I have felt the same need at times and do just that.

I agree with your equating the past attacks on Clinton and the current ones on Bush. At first I was also happy, that's not quite the right word, for Clinton's failings. But unlike many, while I yelled at him and disagreed with him when he would say some lying BS, I was also troubled with his treatment by some. I was especially bothered by the joking, demeaning attacks on him, our president. I felt, and still feel, that it showed a lack of respect for the office and it set a bad example of how to treat the office holder. So now we have the same and worse against President Bush.

Let's talk.

Laz said...

My own wife thinks I need therapy!

Anonymous said...

Laz,alas your wife might be onto something; but on a more sober note
as a person who has known you for
many years,and also has diabetes I
too feel adrift, and wonder how it
wiil all end...... So I shall just say DON"T feel alone !!!!!

Laz said...

Dear Panda, don't get too carried away as I hope to help a few client politicians be able to profit from manipulation. OK, I am a bit bothered about that. I just always hoped that if there was going to be a battle between well-paying clients and they were going to throw money around, then why shouldn't I get in the middle with a net?

I feel for you generation, though. You know too much to be easily comforted and you have seen so much of the world and therefore know where we Americans have left a lasting foot print. The first time I flew on an airplane, I was 20 years old. The first time I went out of the country, I was 34. You, the Boy, the Girl and others have had the privilege to travel far and wide and you are better off because of it.

In my travels, I have leaned to love and loathe America and Americans for the good and bad things that have occurred in the past and in recent years. It will take a long time to clean up after ourselves in Latin America but we have done well to fix what we've broken elsewhere.

I hope you and your generation maintains its faith and finds the solutions to the problems your parents are creating for you. It falls in your lap and I am sorry about that. Unfortunately you won't fix it by the time you're 30.

I do remember one thing the great philosopher Diana Ross once said on a live album (not a CD) in 1970. She said something like, "we must remember that these years will be the 'good old years' for our children." I haven't lost sight of that. These are supposed to be your good 'ol years. Live it up and enjoy them before your kids screw things up in the next generation.

Anonymous said...

Some days you have to look harder than other days but the world is a good place, most people are good and life is beautiful. Of course sometimes it takes antidepressants and a vacation to realize it, but it's true. Also remember that there are many many people who love you and everyone feels this way at some point. You're not alone.

Anonymous said...

I think you are right everyone is feeling adrift right now. Part in what is happening in the world right now and part what is happening in everyone's personal life. I tell my spouse not watch so much news I make a habit not to watch it at all. If I did I would never leave my house again.

I think the best any of us can do right now is follow our heart and keep going.

Love Always.

Anonymous said...

Laz o laz.....
we all feel adrift from time to time. as we all know there are soooo many uncertainties in life, we think we are making the right decisions only to have them fall apart. Alas this is life... I prefer to keep my thoughts more centered and closer to home. I stopped watching the news and reading the newspaper long ago, perhaps that is like an osterich, but heh it works for me, because ultimately, what affects me most is just what is right here in my own back yard. Live life with passion as B said...that can apply to even the smallest of things. I marvel at how resiliant and strong we all are in spite of what life dishes out! Hang in there and sometimes just talking about your feelings does a world of good for the heart and mind.
suey

Laz said...

Thanks, Suey. Nice words and good to remember.