Sunday, March 25, 2007

Hubris

The Boy and I disagree on what I feel is the most specific example, but we agree we are witnessing more hubris by politicians than every before.

First there was Chuck Hagel, a senator and would-be presidential contender. He called a press conference in his home state of Nebraska and invited the national media, which generally spends its time in Washington, DC and New York (or at Skipper’s Bar). The press was a-flutter over what Senator Hagel had dragged them out to the Nebraska corn fields to announce. Surely, they thought, it was to tell the world he would be entering the presidential race. They were wrong. He merely wanted a little attention to tell the assembled press that he was still considering running for president. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn’t run for president. Stay tuned, was the best he could offer.

It’s difficult to think of a more self-important moment than Senator Hagel’s non-announcement announcement. Imagine believing the country cares so much about your personal choices that they would want in on what you were thinking on that particular day, especially when you weren’t thinking about that much. It’s an easy lure for the press because Hagel is one of those “moderate” republicans who wants us out of Iraq in some unspecified time (see the pattern here?) and took the courageous position of piling on the Attorney General. I am sure the press was hoping for more, but like most places around the country, I am sure there was a Skipper’s Bar where they could drown their sorrows.

The second round of hubris happened this past week in the bizarre announcement from John Edwards that he was staying in the race despite the fact nobody had asked. He too called a press conference and he too got plenty of takers.

Of course Edward’s yapping was a bit different than Hagel in that there was more to announce. Edwards shared with us that his wife had a reoccurrence of cancer and it had spread. The cancer in Ms. Edwards seems to be the kind people talk about beating, but, in truth, they don’t last that long. The Boy believes this announcement was worthy in that he has used his wife’s illness as a prop (my words, not The Boy’s) and there was more propping that needed to be done. Actually The Boy said Edwards had made his wife’s illness part of the strength that drives him and has included his supporters and potential donors in their journey together. I still think it’s a sick prop.

But believing the world wants to know the details of the internal struggle that happens in far too many families with cancer requires the believers to have some sense that the world cares enough for a prime time press conference followed by a 60 Minutes show. Whatever happened to quiet courage? I guess people can learn a bit about the dreaded disease. I heard a knucklehead reporter announce that he learned more about cancer watching Edward’s announcement than he had at any other time. Right, this is someone writing the news.

Actually, I know far too much about cancer and one great truth is that stress is not very helpful in living longer with the disease. Can anyone think of anything more stressful than being married to a man running for president? What kind of “man” puts his sick wife through the challenges of a presidential campaign? A man full of hubris would be my answer.

The Boy and I agree on this: if he really wanted to impress us, he would do the right thing and put his own ambition on hold and gear back up four years later. He should be spending as much quiet and non-stressful time with his wife as he can, because from what I understand, her illness is in a terminal state. He has plenty of money and plenty of time of his hands. Edwards should forget the rough travel schedule, the glad-handing and the dialing for dollars and remember he has a sick wife at home who could care less if he comes in a distant third in what will likely be her last presidential campaign.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's incredibly redundant to say that politicians have too much hubris or any hubris at all. You obviously have not spent any close time with a politican....for if you had, you would realize that it takes gargantuan egos to even think you have something worth saying to anyone else and that they want to listen (no, I'm not talking about bloggers!!! he he!) and that you can actually run in a race and win. There is hardly a politician out there that doesn't have a big ego (oh, ok, I know of ONE!). And then you add on to that the kind that runs for president and you add on to that the race we have going on right now.....enuff said.

Laz said...

If, God forbid, you had an illness such as what Elizabeth Edwards has, would you want your hubby running around the country and taking verbal hits from the media and other contenders? And, would you really want to be on the bean and bacon circuit with him shaking hands with sick people when your immune system is down or you've just gone through Chemo? I still say he should check the ego, ambition, hubris, whatever at the door and curl up next to the fire with his wife. Maybe write a book together about their experience and their choice. I would sure feel better about the guy -- not that I would vote for him.

Anonymous said...

Damn, I just wrote a long response but it isn't showing up....I might get the energy to do it again.

Anonymous said...

Since I can't find the long response I wrote, I'll just quickly respond with the following (from the editor of my paper):


Prayers, and more, for Elizabeth Edwards

"The nation sends it prayers to Elizabeth Edwards, wife of presidential candidate John Edwards. It should also send its thanks.

Thanks for showing that you can try to go on living despite a sobering medical diagnosis. Thanks for handling with class all of those who are questioning and over-analyzing and second-guessing John Edwards' decision to stay in the race.

And thanks for being a living, breathing reminder to women of the importance of regular check-ups.

This is one strong family. They have dealt with the loss of a teenage son, and Elizabeth's previous cancer diagnosis prior to the 2004 election.

This will be their biggest challenge of all. So far, they have handled it with grace and courage."

And, Mr. Laz....I would ABSOLUTELY have my husband continue if he were running for president if my cancer came back. It's the decision of two people, who make minute and daily sacrifices that are unseen to the general public, and it is those sacrifices, compromises, deals that every marriage must make to sustain itself, that infuse the bigger decisions. And I have learned that the sacrifices that one makes are sometimes greater than the other partner, and hopefully, it balances out on another occasion. How could any marriage survive, any true partnership, friendship if both were completely self-absorbed and selfish at the same time? And who are any of us to know what is best for Elizabeth, for their marriage, for John? If she is behind him, then that is good enough for me. She doesn't seem like a shrinking violet. On the contrary, if she wanted him to sit home by the fire with her, knowing myself the way I do and how I would be, I would imagine she would not hesitate one bit to tell him to get his ass home. I think it's condescending, patronizing, and whatever bad I word I can think of for you (he he, not really) to say he is selfish. I really must go do some work or else I'd just keep blogging on this very interesting site..............smiles!

Laz said...

I still think he's selfish. I understand the give and take in a marriage and would never ask my wife to put herself and her illness second to my wierd little belief that I could or should be president. In fact, I would expect my wife to vote against me -- as would I too! Of course I am not a person who has the "hubris" to think I have that much self-importance in the first place.