Monday, March 19, 2007

A Veritable Age Of Unreason

When one gets a few years past middle age there are certain rights bestowed upon them. One is the right to be a curmudgeon. There are perhaps lesser rights such as loss of embarrassment and control of certain bodily functions. But for the moment I will dwell on the former rather than the latter.

Of late, Italiphil and I have been complaining about the general rudeness in business today. Common courtesy has disappeared and an ugly rudeness has taken its place. We grumble on about it a lot. Less enlightened and younger readers may say we’re fast approaching curmudegery, if there is a word, but we still remember a day when a phone call was promptly returned and a person’s handshake really was his bond, not just a Cameron Crowe line

When you’re in the midst of curmudgening, you tend to wonder how it has come to pass that the world has gone so wrong and how very smart you have become over the years. This, naturally, leads to being more pissed off.

Our parents had to put up with the Beatles, long hair and a confusing set of differing values. It seems our lot has to endure with smart little boys with bright ideas – like derivatives, start up ventures and the convenient parsing of certain sexual acts not being sex at all. Or at least our generation can’t get that final notion past our wives. We also have to put up with rap, which as near as I can tell is the sound of one man yelling while others throw trash cans down a flight of metal stairs. But I can live with these affronts. What Italiphil and I have struggled with is the loss of appreciation for what our age and experience has brought us. Certainly years of toil should mean something to the smart young people nipping at our heels to get a piece of what we have.

In my business there are a number of people who have entered it presuming they would begin at the top. The old adage of doing what I am doing while their mammies were wrapping their butts in diapers could never be truer. And yet it doesn’t stop their conceits and where they believe they fit in the world. This isn’t to say that some of these younger people aren’t clever, it’s just we don’t want to feel that our time spent blazing the trail for them was wasted.

When Pete Wilson was lured from the Senate to take the lowly job as governor of California, he brought with him much of his young Senate staff. One never met a bunch of more cocksure twenty-somethings. We used to call them the “Penny Loafer Boys” because they wore the uniform of DC and Ivy League training: blue blazers, starched blue cotton pin-point Oxfords and, of course, penny loafers. They came to Sacramento believing they actually knew what they were doing. Within a few months, Willie Brown had them twisted into so many Rubic’s Cubes that they were passing tax increases and extending rights to gays – not exactly what the conservatives had in mind when they dialed Pete’s number.

So Italiohil and I wonder, if we’re not sounding too old and out of step, is it too much trouble to return our phone calls promptly, as a point of taking another task off your Blackberry list if nothing else? Or, what if you ask us to write you an urgent proposal and to have it in your e-mail inbox by the morning, that you actually read it and say thanks? How about giving us some credit for knowing what you think you know, only we actually knew it when we were your age? Perhaps you could just give us some credit when you’re stealing our ideas or re-inventing what we already invented?

It would really be appreciated if you youngins could do this for us. Then we can stop being a curmudgeon and matriculate to being dirty old men. We could use the change of pace.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do an American idol Blog!

Anonymous said...

First of all welcome back. I suppose if the blog-o-sphere was missing anything it was curmudgeony old men and their opinion. I agree with everything within this post with the exception that there are times when it is important to listen to the voice of youth. But if there is a theme to all of my ranting I know that it centers on "the right thing" and today's generations inablity to figure out what that is. I see the root of all of it as ego. Ego seems to drive every decision I see these days. Whether it is driving a massive truck with raised tires because thats how important I am to a persons decision to not pay someone for services rendered, they all scream the same thing: "I am important enough that I can do whatever I want." Where this comes from it is debateable. I would argue that this is the fallout of consumerism driven from our lovely system of capitalism. Others blame Britney Spears. No matter the cause I do see the current state of affairs as a sad time and recognize I may be the youngest curmudgeon alive. I often wonder how it is possible to be nostalgic for a time I never lived in?

Sladed said...

It nice to have your insight, humor, and opinion back. I agree with you here, it what you say is true. I am not exactly in the corporate world so I can't attest to your and Italiphil's accuracy. I will say that having a retail-type job and dealing directly with the customers has opened my eyes to other rudeness and inconsiderate behavior by the public. I'm sure The 441 will back me on that one! Perhaps some of the behavior you have observed in the business and political worlds comes from the mediocraty that is now praised as success in our schools and our youth sports. Kids do not have realistic expectations of who they are and what they are actually capable of. Not that that is entirely bad but there is a limit. And parents don't want to allow their children to fail. I can understand that but is this really the best thing for the child?

Laz said...

Thanks for the comments and welcome back messages; it's good to be back. I should have inlcuded Sladed as a fellow curmudgeon (I had to learn how to spell that). I feel like I slighted you because you are EVERY bit as much as a curmudgeon as the rest of us old-timers.

As for the dumb kid asking about American Idol posts, I suggest you writing your own and I will inlcude you as a guest blogger. Nobody knows it better than you do. Go Sanjaya!

Thanks on the outside to Agent 69 who couldn't get his way back on but left some very nice comments in my e-mail inbox. And thanks for the movie!

Henry -- let's go make some money with this. At least more than $1.50. Let's shoot for $10. I had a comment for your potty post but it got flushed and I have to write it again. Oh bother.

Anonymous said...

Who knew you were even gone?

Laz said...

I don't like you.

Anonymous said...

I think you are one of the cutest curmudgeons that I know!!! Welcome back.

Laz said...

I hope my wife doesn't read this!!!

Sladed said...

I did not feel left out because I wasn't called out for my curmudgenlyness! You could also call me a sometime old fart. I love The Office and thought Arrested Development was great. But I watched Borat this weekend and found it almost completely... Bor-ing. The only part I actually laughed at was in the end when he, "Pamela (Anderson)! I am not attracted to you anymore...not!"

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK, LAZ!!!!
I can't believe that the curmudgeon I share my life with (aka Mr. Sladed) didn't tell me you were blogging again. Don't tell my boss, but I frequently surfed over here to see if you had taken up the keyboard and caved into your baser instincts, but alas, there was nothing new.

When you went on your "sabbatical" Mr. Sladed's blogging and 441's blogging dropped off. Mr. Sladed claimed that he was "working" but I know that he needed Laz to really keep his blogging juices going.

And despite the Boy's best efforts, the blog-o-sphere has been a boring place without you in it. Welcome back!

XO,
Mrs. Sladed

P.S. I liked Borat. I don't know what is wrong with Sladed. I guess he is an old fart.