Monday, March 31, 2008

Starting Over

This should come as no surprise to anyone who knew I was traipsing around the country, but I gained back all the weight I lost for the year -- 7 pounds -- in just two weeks. It doesn't surprise me, either. I ate poorly, exercised just twice, had a poor sleep habit and even had a decent amount of alcohol at various beer halls.

I tried looking around for someone else to blame but, in the end, I know I alone must accept the responsibility. I was in a pretty good exercise and eating routine before leaving and I think I believed I was more immune from the temptation of rich food and better prepared to exercise regardless of my circumstances. Instead, the two weeks I was gone were a complete disaster.

So now I am beginning my long path back to where I started. I went to the gym today and will get back into the practice of working up a sweat and embarrassing myself in front of shapely women in the abs class (women who don't look like they need an abs class) before slinking out the door and earning my nickname of "Jumper." Heaven help us all.

5 comments:

TSP said...

The whole problem with America's approach to weight loss is that it has been commandeered along with many other things by the get "rich quick people." Everyone expects instant results but our bodies do not work that way. I am hoping to lose 15-20 lbs but I am not giving myself a deadline that I need to do this by. The truth is it will likely take a year for me to reach my goal and I need to know there are going to be setbacks. This Thursday I know will be bad and full of fatty food, cake, and little to no excercise. But Friday does not have to be. My only advice is to not wallow in bad weeks but use them as motivation toward good ones. They are going to happen. You will lose weight and then gain some back. But you have to look at it as a long term goal and not measure success in weekly increments. Your weight loss goals should really only be there to push a healthier lifestyle. Even if you fail, or even if I don't reach my 20 lb. goal, at least I know I am living healthier. Just don't give up! Get back to the gym and get a routine set for as long as you can! See you there.

Anonymous said...

LAZ, the road to hell is paved with
good thoughts...

Sladed said...

It's just one of those frustrating lessons to learn from.
Shapely women working out? A positive distraction.
Jumper? I thought you got that from your basketball skills.

Anonymous said...

Here Here!!! I totally agree with K he has the right attitude. That is the way I am looking at weight loss I will get there when I get there. In the meantime just do the best you can.

Love Linda

Laz said...

I appreciate everyone's encouragement and my plan was to lose weight gradually. I just know I could eat better and exercise more diligently. That's more of what I have to work on.