Thursday, April 03, 2008

KK B Day

There are a few things worth celebrating today. First and foremost, it is The Boy’s 26th birthday and, while we no longer stock up on Thunder Cats and airplane pants, the memory of the joy he has brought us all these years is more than worth noting.

I only ruined one of his birthdays. In 2002, something in my body told my head to take a time out. Technically the doctors called it a Transient Ischemic Attack (or a TIA or mini-stroke as it is often referred). While my closest action to playing a doctor was literally playing doctor with my cousin (female), I disagree with the medical conclusion and think it was just stress forcing its will on me and telling me to “chill out” as Bill Clinton screams these days (there’s a guy headed for the Big One). Anyway, whatever it was, I am six years beyond that episode and I am told by doctors – who I believe this time – that the passage of time without another event is a good thing. So, rather than look back on this day that ordinarily belongs to The Boy with any kind of blemish, I will celebrate my disease-free brain.

The only part of this day that has an added emotional attachment is that this is the final birthday that will exclusively belong to us as his parents. Assuming nobody gets the wiser and The Boy and The Ber tie the knot this year, we will be handing over his birthday duties to his wife-to-be. I know future birthdays will be in good hands and we offer The Ber the following advice: when he makes a birthday suggestion, go out and buy it that day and give it to him, even if it’s a month early. Happy birthday Sonny!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will take your advice seriously--I have had multiple experiences with this same thing--gotta love the Boy's passionate ways. Glad you are feeling better than in ought 2. Keep up the good work at the gym jumper and "chill out"! Happy Bday to K-the best Boy ever!! Love you Laz. Baci.

Anonymous said...

Happy B'day to my boy--love you dearly K, always have and always will. I know Ber loves you too and she will take good care of you. We will be looking over her shoulder at all times so no worries eh?
Love,
Mrs. Laz
I don't think I ruined any of your birthdays? but if I did-sorry!!!

Sladed said...

You guys SPOIL that boy! Give him what he wants. Make him Enchiladas and Carrot Cake for his BDay dinner! It's all just too much!

Anonymous said...

Yes the boys parents have spoiled him that is for sure.

But Happy Birthday Boy and many many more.

Love Linda

Anonymous said...

Boy, as someone once said, May you liveas long as you want to; and may you want to as long as you live..

Happy birthday

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the thoughtful words and for not flavoring my day today with another trip to the hospital. I had a great day today and look forward to celebrating many more to come. - Kel

Laz said...

Fingers crossed, this may be a good day for everyone in the family and a birthday to remember. Thanks for all the nice things said about K. Ber, it's great to know you two get to share the rest of his birthdays together. BTW, I'm working on the filter in time for my great wedding speech.