Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Marley And Me

Who knows why we do certain things. For the past several months, I have secretly wanted my own dog. Watching the Mrs. and The Girl with their two dogs in their laps only made me want one of my own fluffy things in my lap. (I wonder if I should rephrase that. Naw, that looks OK to me).

Gradually I made it known what I was thinking and when the idea didn’t get shot down completely, I began one of my quiet and steady lobby campaigns.

The Girl was a pushover. I only needed to mention there was a possibility of a new pet joining the family and I knew it wouldn’t be long before she would begin looking at http://www.petfinder.com/, a great site that allows people to look at several shelters for just about any dog imaginable. To get her total support, the dog had to come from a shelter, preferably a “kill shelter” so we could actually rescue a dog from the grips of death. I could get extra support from The Girl if the dog was missing an eye or a leg or was functionally dead since she is a sucker for tough luck cases. But I also know she is a sucker for any cute little puppy so I had some room to find a pet with all its limbs intact.

As for Mrs. Laz, all I needed to do to get her to see it my way was make a lot of impassioned statements about never being allowed to have my own dog. This I did with conviction and great feeling. Of course I also had to agree to pull my own weight and feed and walk the dog and clean up after it if it happened to make a mistake on our new carpet. For a new puppy, I would agree to almost anything, so this was easy.

With such a great advocacy plan, how could I miss? Last Saturday we decided to go to our local shelter and see if any dog – preferably a puppy – made a connection with us. But let’s be honest here, there is absolutely no way you can go to a shelter, find any dog that is remotely cute, hold it in your hands and then walk away. Fortunately we were very lucky to find a young female spaniel mix (who knows what she’s mixed with) that was young – at 7 months a bit younger than I wanted – and truly loveable. I knew the moment I saw her I would go home with her and this was even after we had a little competition from a woman who had spotted her first but, as it turned out, didn’t connect.

We had to bring our two dogs to meet our hoped for new puppy, who was named Krispy Crème by the shelter. I am not sure why we needed to bring our dogs into a weird environment to be able to take a dog off their hands. Dogs may not like each other at first, but they always work things out. The dogs ended up doing fine, even crazy Spooner acted semi-normal.

We took her home and she seemed very much at ease but the name Krispy just didn’t seem right. We tossed out a number of names and, after 24 hours, I threw out Marley after the dog in the book Marley and Me. Little did I know that The Boy wanted to name his eventual puppy Marley after the Reggae singer, but tough noogies, I got the name first.

Since she’s been home, Marley has been the perfect angel, sleeping between me and Mrs. Laz just like she’s been there forever. She loves to run as fast as she can at the park and wants desperately to play with Missy but Spooner, ever the boss, lets her know that she has not yet been cleared to play with her young charge.

I admit to being nervous making the decision to bring her home, but couldn’t be happier I have her in our home. I know I won’t live up to my promises, but it really feels good that I have my own dog, even if she likes Mrs. Laz the best. Thanks to my family for letting me have Marley and I hope she ends up being a great addition to the Hollyfelds.

7 comments:

Sladed said...

"Marley has been the perfect angel, sleeping between me and Mrs. Laz...". No wonder Mrs Laz agree to another dog!

As for The Boy - don't give up on the name. I was thinking that naming a dog Bob or Ziggy would be very cool.

Anonymous said...

Yes you have a habit of not keeping your promises. So try to keep this one. I think Marley is very cute and I am glad you got her.

After all one more female in the house is a good thing

Anonymous said...

Your dog is sick, I am taking her to the vet, I think she will be fine, I will walk her when we get home, feed her and likely give her a bath as she has thrown up all day-but she is still really cute.
Love,
Mrs. Laz

Anonymous said...

Please don't give Mr. Sladed any ideas.
XO
Mrs. Sladed

TSP said...

Wait, I thought it was "Marlee." Have the decency and balls to just admit you stole my name next time.

Anonymous said...

It is Marlee, and yes it seems we stole your name, although had I known (this is your ever diplomatic mother writing) this name was so important to you I would have certainly encouraged another choice, you know me, keeping the peace always. Sorry we "ruined" this name for you, but you can always name your first dog Marley and we will deal with the confusion when it happens...sorry darling.
Mrs. Laz

Laz said...

It's my dog and she shall be named Marley -- just to piss the boy off. And, I will get un-fixed, produce a baby and name him/her Reilly.

I never got that diplomatic gene.