Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Generation's Final Bow

A few weeks back, the missus and I went to a funeral. I didn’t know the man we had come to honor, but I know his daughter and her family very well. When listening to people talk about his life, one thing stood out; they were talking about a man who personified a generation that is slowly dying out.

His generation went through the Great Depression, proudly fought in World War II, was a part of building the greatest sustained economic growth in our country’s history and witnessed, but perhaps did not agree, with great social upheaval in the Sixties. His generation had its faults too. It was often a hard-drinking, heavy smoking and naïve generation, but it was also self-sufficient and strongly believed in family and cared about the community and the values it stood for.

During the funeral, I began to wonder what subsequent generations will stand for; how will we be remembered when we begin to die out? It’s difficult for me to imagine future generations will equate my generation with the same grit and can-do attitude.

What motivated me to write about this tonight was seeing the incredible movie Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood latest, and likely final movie. His movie was about many things, but the underlying and inescapable theme was about the generation Eastwood’s character represented. In the same way I’m told my friend’s father approached his life, Eastwood’s character was driven by a strong sense of right and wrong and the understanding that he needed to do what should be done. While he was crass and prejudiced, he also understood who he was and lived by a code that is singular to his generation. I will be sad to see it burn out.

8 comments:

Laz said...

Please keep in mind this rather modestly short post does not alleviate the readers' responsibility to read the longer post below. Thank you, the Management.

Anonymous said...

Laz, it's a shame that other's of
today's generation can't or refuse
to see what you and those of the
"Greatest Generation" feel and live
their lives being what they are...

Sladed said...

I wonder if there will EVER be a generation with values similar to those again. As we drift towards more entitlement and away from their tough, self-sufficient, can-do attitude I don't see it happening. On the other hand, if the times require, perhaps a future generation will rise to the ocassion and do what has to be done.

Anonymous said...

Laz, yes this is short for YOU, but
it say's much. and mirror's my thoughts on this subject!! and I
did read the LONG thing on music.....

Katrin said...

Mr. Laz, I have to admit (and since this is a compliment, I have to assure you that I really do not want anything from you): you have a true gift for coming up with some zestful ideas.

If you feel somehow let down by your generation, what on earth should I feel about mine... And I really don't want to think about the younger ones, who grow up with American Idol and the anything-for-the-15'-of-fame life motto. As appetizing a thought as potato daiquiri.

Laz said...

You don't want anything from me? Why the hell not? You are welcome to take my zestful ideas and put your own spin on them and write them better than I am able. It is your destiny.....

Katrin said...

Will do, will do.

Anonymous said...

Just in case you do read your blog comments. You and Ms. Laz -- please contact us when you are in town next. We promise to be available. Mrs. Waffle-Logo