Sunday, August 13, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me

Yeah, well I know I am going to hear it from the “What About Your Post on the Round Numbers?” crowd, but today marks the one year birthday for Lazlo’s Lament. Without giving this moment any extra due, I thought it would be useful to offer up some facts and statistics about this Blog and what has become (dare I admit) something of a joy for me to write.

Most people may not be aware of why this Blog was started, or why it’s called Lazlo’s Lament. On my first post, I credited the idea to the husband of a long-time friend who suggested the Blogosphere would become the modern-day equivalent of the old town square and be a place to air new ideas and challenges. That reason is only partially true. I began the Blog while in New Zealand and was moved to begin writing by a young Blogger named Anna who we worked with while the Boy and I were there. I think she was only 19 at the time, but had a few years of posts. I was impressed at not only how she was able to express herself, but how many people cared enough to visit her site and post comments. Sadly, she no longer has her Blog as the whims and callousness of politics forced her to discontinue her insightful Blog.

As for why it’s called Lazlo’s Lament, you will have to go back to my August ’05 original post to find out. And, yes, it is a trick to get the reader to look at some of the older posts.

I went back to my archives to be able to provide you with these completely useless stats: I have written 107 entries this past year and there have been 417 comments to my various posts. Of course if you take out the comments by Mr. Sladed and my returned remarks, the number of comments may drop to just a trickle (note: One good thing about this Blog is it started Mr. Sladed on his Blogging experience and I think he has far outdone me in number of posts, comments and better content). Even with the heavily weighted Mr. Sladed comments, many of you have responded to my posts and your thoughts have been at times humorous and other times thoughtful and moving. It’s been such a fun ride that I wish I could do this as a fulltime occupation. And I can. If all of you pay me $500 for each comment you leave, this would be a pretty good paying gig. It would even be better if you commented more. Please think about it. It will keep me off the street.

More useless stats: The month with the most posts was 81 this past April. Don’t ask me why, because I have no idea. Perhaps I begged more for comments that month. Speaking of shameless begging, the most comments for a single post was the famous free IPOD giveaway scam that drew 21 comments from people looking for a free handout. Well, I suppose it was shameless on all sides, what with me begging to be recognized and all. The fewest number of posts was this past July when I wrote only three as I was in a surly mood and didn’t feel like writing. The most posts was the month before with 13 when I suppose I was feeling less surly.

The way I look at it, Lazlo’s Lament has been something of a fragile agreement between my ego and my vulnerable side. I will write something I think is noteworthy only to have no comments, and then write something silly and get comments from far and wide. I fall into long bouts of melancholy when there are no responses and scratch my head when I get 21 comments to unabashed pandering on the fake IPOD post. The fact is, I hear from many of you about a particular post so I know you’re reading, but, have a heart, leave a comment – it doesn’t cost $500 yet. Is that more shameless pandering?

So, I have one request of my dear readers and, OK, I have buried the lead a bit. If it is not too much trouble, please comment on what your favorite posts have been. I have always been curious at not only what you want to read about, but what posts have made any difference at all in your life. If I don’t get any answers then I will know the difference is, well, zero. And this will mean I will have to back off on the $500-per-comment plan. Plus my delicate ego will take a mighty bruising.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts for you Sir Laz: 1). you must proofread your stuff-just check the last post for evidence 2. (more important than the first one I might add)I really love reading your thoughts and I am glad you have an outlet for them-mostly your thoughts are worthy and well done-although I must state that I don't agree with your position on everything 3. Please keep writing this blog, it is very well done and a wonderful outlet for you and for those of us who love you--despite the blog!!!! Truly SIr Laz, keep writing through your blog or any other venture you can because it is one of the many amazing things you do.
Love,
Mrs. Laz, whom many might say is biased but I choose to think is just being honest!

Laz said...

I don't know what you're talking about, I don't have any typos. And, no, I didn't fix the typos after you pointed them out.

Anonymous said...

My favrit 1 is this un cuz i like the piture!

Sladed said...

Laz, my friend, I like all the ones in which you mention me. This one, for instance, is excellent. There are many others that are almost as good but they fall short because I am not mentioned at all, even though there were plenty of opportunities within the context of the writing. Please try harder.

Anonymous said...

I usually just skip your posts completely and go straight to other people's comments, which is my favorite part of your blog anyway.

Anonymous said...

Dear Laz,
I always read your blog and I am often sad when there is nothing new to read. My favorite ones are the entries about you, your family and your various adventures. My least favorite are the political ones...what can I say, I am shallow!
A Loyal Reader

Laz said...

Loyal reader at least said what kind of posts he/she likes. Someone read the directions, unlike Skippy Dogs (crap, I mentioned him again). I will try to be less political.

Sladed said...

Excuse me? What do you mean I didn't read the directions?! You asked, "If it is not too much trouble, please comment on what your favorite posts have been."

So as not to sound too narcissistic, I will name one of my favorites that did NOT mention me. You titled it More Lady Di -- for Me. Cleavage counts is what I always say.

While I'm commenting, I disagree with the anonymous commentor. I like your political posts as well as your more personal posts. Continue with any and all of them as the mood strikes.

Anonymous said...

Dude, did you, like, count the ones you deleted due to concerns about business and political spies?

Laz said...

Are you one, Mr. McCord?

Anonymous said...

They SAY I was doing something wrong one night in the 70's when they found me at the Watergate Hotel. Just because I had Hunt's phone number on me doesn't prove anything.

Sladed said...

"Keep on bloggin' in the free world." -Freely adapted from Neil Young

Laz said...

Oh, that James McCord. You should have ended up in Clinton's Admin., you would have won an humanitarian award.

Anonymous said...

Was that free balling or free blogging?

Anonymous said...

Oops that was someone else's blog.

Anonymous said...

I like your humorous postings, your travel posts are excellent and your politcal observations are interesting also although I don't agree with everything you write. Just keep writing...it makes your public happy.

Anonymous said...

This was my first time reading your "blog"; but I will say it will not be the last.... I found it interesting that YOU used the terms ( your ego and vulnerable side), as I have "been there" too!!
suffice to say just keep doing what YOU do and all will be good....

Anonymous said...

You know, this may get more (legitimate) comments than the famous IPOD give-away scandal of '05.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!! and Many More

Agent 69

Sladed said...

I liked your posting of top 5 this and thats. It got me interested. Now that your blog has matured, so has this reader. Don't go back.

Sladed said...

The rememories of family members since past have been very touching and sometimes enlightening.

Sladed said...

The post about Mrs Laz made ME look bad after Mrs Sladed read it too. Otherwise it would have been a great post.

Sladed said...

Among my most favorite posts of all is Cows! (http://lazloslament.blogspot.com/2006/04/cows.html) I especially enjoyed the 14 comments that followed.

Sladed said...

Have we broken the "Free ipod" post record yet?

Laz said...

Yes, but with an asterisk.