Saturday, February 10, 2007

Happy Trails

In the past year and a half, I've written 150 posts that have averaged about two pages each, or roughly 300 typed pages. I began Lazlo's Lament as an accidental blogger and then discovered I enjoyed the short writing exercises and keeping some of you entertained some of the time. Even the name was a bit of a whim because I didn't expect to still be at this 18 months later.

Writing Lazlo's Lament has been a joy and a challenge as I tried to entertain you all and, I suspect, entertain myself. It's also been a bit of a chore because at some point you come to realize that people are reading what passes for this modern-day mass communication, and you feel compelled to write good (or is it well?) As Sladed will attest, we vanity bloggers find that everything happening around us becomes a trigger for that all-illusive content and that this process becomes seductive and addictive, leaving too many brain cells tied up in this undertaking for our own good.

I suspect the blank sheet of paper that we stare at when we have a good idea carries the same feeling I used to get when I was feverishly writing my novel and wondering where my story was taking me next and how I would find the right mix of prose to make the journey worthwhile. At this moment, I don't know where my novel is, let alone where it's going. But I need to find out, and there is a big part of me that wonders where it would be now if I had invested those same 300 pages and edits into my novel.

For those who may have heard at one point or another, I have written more than 400 pages of my novel; some in great need of editing, some not half-bad. If you also know me, you are aware that I have a terrible history of completing things. From musical instruments to foreign languages to sports, I have started them all and mastered none. At 50-years-old, perhaps this is a good time to see if I can complete something I started and learn what it feels like to be satisfied when I have finished, even if it is only on my terms.

So, to completely bury the lead, I won't be posting to this site for a while as I take whatever energy has gone into writing this nonsense and put it toward completing something that has been a lifelong dream: a novel. Wish me luck and thank you for all your kind thoughts, your complaints, your reasoned debate and, hopefully, for a laugh or two. Be well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say it ain't so!

Sladed said...

"NOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo!" Sladed wailed. "This cannot be true." For my complete response please go to http://sladed.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Why don't you post small portions of your novel as you go?

Anonymous said...

I think this is great! Finish the novel and become a well known author. Good Luck

Laz said...

Well we'll see about the great author. Just trying to bat away the creeping thoughts of John Keats who had the words "Here lies One Whose Name is writ in Water" enscribed on his tomb.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Laz, as we have heard so many times"SAY IT AIN'T SO" !!! Laz, I can sincerly say YOU WILL BE MISSED!! and hopefully not by only ME... You have brought an insider's
view of the "Political World" as well as much laughter with your many stories of your world travels;
and the quaint customs that go with
them. I say to you go fourth and find what will make YOU "happy"...

Anonymous said...

Whatever venue I don't care, just write and fulfill yourself and find the joy that you seek. I know that if you put your mind, talent and energy to it, you will do it. That is how you are built!!!
Love you dearly,
Mrs. Laz

Anonymous said...

Your prose will be missed. Your outlook on life and the laughter you bring will not be forgotten. Your insight will find another place to land so write that Novel, finish it, be proud and if you get around to making a post now and then, more like then, later then, then do so.

Sladed said...

I keep checking back to see if you've posted anything new, only to find that you haven't. Does that mean you've found the manuscript?

By the way, did you notice your blog retirement gift? I'm responsible for getting you to the 1,000 threshold on your counter.