Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Taking The Easy Road

There is an oft-used trick that musicians and writers of essays apply when they've run out of fresh ideas, reached a writing block or lost a muse. They compile. And if compiling doesn't work, they do a "best of" to re-package what they were able to accomplish when they had ideas, lived without blocks and were amused by a muse.

I don't suffer from a lack of ideas but I have been having a bit of a writer's block -- or, perhaps better said -- a completion problem. As for having a muse, well, let's say I'm interviewing. Geez, I hope Mrs. Laz has forgotten to check this site on a regular basis.

Somewhere on this hard drive is a treatise on all the hot spots in the world, perfectly researched, highly opinionated and completely boring. It’s unfinished, to boot. I also take a humorous stab at explaining modern culture, but it is without consistent wit and is missing the required ending. I’ve thought about it for a while, too, and there is simply no way to kill off the main character to wiggle my way through the final paragraph because I am the main character.

Worse, and perhaps something that could soon produce my death, I have an unfinished tome to Mrs. Laz on the occasion of her __ birthday. I write her HallMike Cards every holiday as a means of personalizing my feelings and saving $2.99 at the local Hall Mark store. It runs several pages now, but not ready to give and now lagging far behind her birthday. Of course there is always our __ wedding anniversary coming up in a few months.

So, to fill something in this space that has remained untouched for 49 days, I am presenting a “Best of Lazlo’s Lament.” You can comment on your favorites if you like, or just point out that whatever I had in writing skill at one time is now lost. While the words will not be new, they will have been forgotten so it will seem new to what is likely a dwindling readership (which was dwindled to begin with). Sure hope I get a little readership on this as perhaps it will push me to finish the unfinished (or find a muse – geez, I hope Mrs. Laz forgot her glasses today).


Peace On Earth

Adrift On An Ocean Of Lonliness

Happy Birthday To Me

A Blessed Day

For A Gentle Warrior

No More I Love Yous

Laz Logic

My Favorite Places

On Sadness and Other Bothersome Things

That's probably way too much for the average reader to read -- especially when you can't take your computer into the bathroom. Anyway, if you find the time, you may learn something about the ravages of a man who was, and is, unhinged.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, you think I'm going to read all of this? If I forgot it the first time, it can't be worth reading the second time. OK, I remember liking My Favorite Places and the one where you whine about being sad. Come to think of it, you whine a lot and are sad a lot. I think you need help.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to set a post from you on your blog, it has been quite awhile. I did bring my glasses and enjoyed reading your past thoughts. I don't find you sad nor whiny I actually find you senitmental, thoughtful, of having some depth and being willing to expose yourself to your real feelings. I like it and I like you.
I suffer from writer's block on a permanent basis-I think you call that either fear, laziness or an accurate understanding of one's own abilities. I think your writer's block is actually just "too many responsiblities, no time for choices" and I hope that soon you will be able to turn back to some form of writing because you truly are good at it.
Thanks for the recap, now go on to writing more and let those of us who are smarter than the average bear enjoy your gift.
Love,
Mrs. Laz

Anonymous said...

Choices? He's not going to have time for choices any time soon! The La Jolla Rough Water Swim is just over 3 months away!

Sladed said...

I miss your posts. It has become painfully obvious that my posting is directly related to your posting. Your quality writing inspired my writing. There has without doubt been a synergy there. Perhaps it's part of a blog maturation process: evolve, find new muse, come up with fresh ideas, or slowly fade away. I, for one, feel like I am fading. (Don't tell Mrs Sladed but I have one of those unfinished tomes as well.)

Laz said...

At you least you have more relevant ideas than a "best of" box set. I hope you keep writing. When I get there, we'll have to arrange time to put our heads togeher on blogging -- as long as it doesn't interfere with our swimming

Sladed said...

I look forward to all of that.

Anonymous said...

This was a good idea. I did read a few of your old stories and they are very well written. You should stop immediately what you are doing and become a professional writer. You write with great feeling and a great sense of humor (even self-depricating).

A friend